Curried Rice Recipe
This quick and easy curried rice recipe is huge on curry flavor, done in under 30 minutes, the perfect spicy and comforting side dish or main dish.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped (use other hotter peppers if you'd like)
- 1 medium carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup long grain rice use basmati rice or Thai jasmine rice
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable stock or use chicken stock, or water
- 1 teaspoon garam masala or more to taste
- To Garnish. Red chili flakes, fresh chopped parsley, lemon.
Heat the oil in a large pan to medium heat.
Add the onion, peppers and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes to soften.
Add the ginger-garlic paste and seasonings (curry powder, coriander, paprika, cumin, turmeric, cardamom, salt and pepper). Stir and cook for 1 minute.
Add the rice and stock and stir. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed the liquid and is tender to your preference. If the rice is not done enough, add a bit more water and stock and simmer longer.
Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with garam masala, chili flakes, fresh chopped parsley, and serve.
Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 169mg | Potassium: 169mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2580IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg