Creole Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - Recipe
The ultimate Creole chicken and sausage gumbo recipe made with a rich and creamy dark roux, bell peppers and other vegetables, seared chicken, smoked andouille, tomato, and plenty of Creole seasoning. When you're done with a bowl, you'll beg for more.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces andouille sliced into ¼ inch slices
- ½ cup peanut oil or vegetable oil
- ½ cup flour
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 14- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley + more for serving
- 1 tablespoon filé powder or to taste
- For Serving: Cooked white rice if desired
Heat a pan to medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and heat.
Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan along with the sliced andouille. Cook a couple minutes per side until browned. Set aside until ready to use.
Add ½ cup peanut oil to a large pot and heat to medium heat. Add flour and stir. Cook for 20-30 minutes, constantly stirring, until the roux browns to the color of chocolate.
Add peppers, onion, celery and garlic. Stir and cook about 5 minutes.
Add chicken and andouille. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
Add crushed tomatoes, Creole seasoning and chicken stock. Scrape up the brown bits from the bottom.
Add bay leaves and thyme and cook at medium-low heat for 1 hour to thicken.
Stir in parsley and cook 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in filé powder.
Serve over white rice and garnish with extra parsley.
Calories: 614kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 1041mg | Potassium: 1064mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1920IU | Vitamin C: 41.3mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 3.4mg