This recipe looks delicious! Thank you for the care you put into the directions for this and all your recipes. I will be making this for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow and I'm sure it's going to be a favorite! Thanks for all the good work you do, your website is wonderful and filled with exciting recipes!!~ Deb
– Preheat oven.
– Rinse and dry the sliced potatoes and onions. Set them aside.
– Make the Creamy Sauce. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir in the flour to form a roux (paste) and cook.
– Bring to a boil. Add the paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and salt and pepper. Lower the heat and cook, stirring. Remove from heat.
– Layer a lightly oiled baking dish with half the potatoes, then half the onions. Cover with half the bechamel.
– Top with remaining potatoes, then onions, then remaining bechamel. Sprinkle with extra paprika and cayenne.
– Cheese Option: If using cheese, sprinkle remaining ½ cup shredded cheese over the top.
– Cover and bake.