Spicy Beef Stir Fry with Serranos, Carrots and Chickpeas
Make this quick and easy noodle bowl recipe with sliced smoked brisket and egg noodles, served with chickpeas and carrots, all tossed in a garlicky sriracha-soy sauce with fresh chili paste.
I’ve been making more and more noodle bowls lately because I’ve realized just how quick and easy they are to prepare. When Patty and I are basically SLAMMED with our web site work or when I’m smack in the middle of another writing project, I try to get a good meal on the table that won’t take me forever to put together. This is why noodle bowls are so perfect when you’re in a hurry.
Noodles boil up quickly. Always. Choosing simple ingredients helps, of course. Chickpeas, carrots, fiery serrano peppers. Nothing too crazy here, but an excellent combination.
The secret, truly, is in the sauce. It’s a HUGE reason why I’ve been graviting toward Asian cooking lately. These no-cook sauces are so flavorful, and, hey, no cooking. You can save a heck of a lot of time when you don’t need to cook up anything or let your sauce simmer to develop flavor. Simply mix together a few ingredients and BOOM! Instant awesome sauce. Just a bit of heating.
This particular sauce consists of chicken stock, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha, chili paste and a bit of garlic powder. You can use any chili paste you prefer, though an Asian style garlic-chili paste is ideal, or, if you’re like me and would like a bit of extra heat, try this homemade habanero chili paste recipe for a bit of an extra kick. Bring on the heat, baby!
I also used brisket I had smoked recently. I enjoy taking weekends and smoking several pounds of meat while I write in the backyard, just sort of hanging out and banging away at the keyboard while the food cooks. I slice and freeze them into lunch and dinner sized portions for me and Patty so I can have them on hand for quick meals like this. It’s a nice payoff, really.
Give it a try. I hope you enjoy your noodle bowl! Don’t forget the lime juice for serving!
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Spicy Beef Stir Fry with Serranos, Carrots and Chickpeas - Recipe
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 serrano peppers chopped
- 8 ounces chickpeas
- 8 ounces lightly smoked brisket chopped
- 1 cup prepared egg noodles
- Juice from half a lime + wedges for serving
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Whisk the first 7 ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a wok or large pan to medium heat and add chili oil. Heat through, then add carrots. Cook about 7-8 minutes to soften.
- Add serranos and chickpeas. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add brisket and your sauce mixture. Stir and cook a couple minutes to heat through.
- Remove from heat and stir in egg noodles.
- Serve into 2 bowls, then squeeze a bit of lime juice over the top. Garnish with lime wedges and parsley.