This beef stir fry recipe is quick and easy to make with juicy strips of beef stir fried with peppers and broccoli and a spicy stir fry sauce that is loaded with flavor. One of our favorites.
We're cooking up a new pan of Spicy Beef Stir Fry tonight, my friends! Would you care for a bowl?
We've been making a lot of stir fry recipes in the Chili Pepper Madness kitchen as of late. I love a good stir fry for many different reasons.
First, they cook up quickly. You can have a stir fry dish cooked up and on the table in 20 minutes, or under 30 minutes if you're a slow cook like me.
Second, they're super easy to customize. You can make them with different vegetables to your own preference, even tossing in veggies from the fridge you need to use up. You can use just about any protein - shrimp, chicken, pork, beef, tofu - or even go vegetarian.
Third, stir fries taste fantastic! My stir fries are always huge on flavor with my own preferred ingredients that are perfect for the spicy food lover. Today's recipe is just that - nice and spicy and loaded with the flavors my spicy food loving friends crave.
I hope you enjoy it!
Let's talk about how we make beef stir fry, shall we?
Beef Stir Fry Ingredients
- FOR THE BEEF STIR FRY SAUCE
- Doubanjiang. You can use gochujang or another spicy chili paste as a substitute.
- Hot Paprika. As a substitute, use a combination of cayenne and sweet paprika. You can use other spicier chili powders as well.
- Sesame Oil.
- Soy Sauce.
- Rice Wine Vinegar.
- Brown Sugar. Honey is a good substitute, for a bit of sweetness.
- Chicken Broth.
- Red Pepper Flakes.
- Corn Starch Slurry. 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 1 tablespoon water, to help thicken the sauce.
- FOR THE BEEF STIR FRY
- Sesame Oil. Or use olive oil or vegetable oil
- Beef Ribeye. Cut into thin slices or bite-sized pieces, to your preference. You can use other cuts of meat. See the recipe notes section for suggested alternatives.
- Corn Starch.
- Salt and Pepper.
- Vegetables. I am using broccoli, bell peppers and jalapeno peppers for my beef stir fry. You can use any of your favorites. See the recipe notes section for suggested alternatives.
- For Serving. Chopped green onion, spicy red pepper flakes
How to Make Beef Stir Fry - the Recipe Method
MAKE THE STIR FRY SAUCE
Whisk all of the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl until well combined. Set aside until ready to use.
MAKE THE BEEF STIR FRY
Heat the Oil. Heat the oil in a large pan or wok to medium-high heat.
Coat the Beef. Toss the beef with the corn starch, salt and pepper to coat.
Stir Fry the Beef. Add the beef to the hot pan and cook the beef for 2 minutes or to your preference, stirring often. Remove the beef and set aside.
Stir Fry the Vegetables. Add the broccoli and chopped peppers to the hot pan. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add the Stir Fry Sauce. Add the stir fry sauce and stir. Bring to a quick boil, then simmer for 3 minutes, stirring a bit, or until the vegetables are cooked to your liking. The stir fry sauce will thicken in the pan and coat the pork and vegetables.
Stir in the Beef. Stir the sliced beef back into the pan with the vegetables and warm through.
Garnish and Serve. I like my beef stir fry with either steamed white rice or stir fry noodles. Sesame seeds are a popular garnish as well.
Boom! Done! Your spicy beef stir fry is ready to serve! Looks wonderful, doesn't it? Super easy to make, which is a huge bonus, and you can easily customize the spice levels and ingredients.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- The Beef. I love strips of juicy, tender beef ribeye or my beef stir fry, but you can use other cuts of beef. Flank steak or skirt steak are great options. Strip steak is very nice. Try it with tender filet, or use your favorite cuts.
- The Vegetables. I typically use broccoli and peppers for this recipe for a simple beef and broccoli stir fry, but you can easily use your favorites. Snow peas are very popular, as are snap peas, water chestnuts, baby corn, mushrooms, carrots. Use your favorites! Make it your own!
- Doubanjiang. Doubanjiang, aka Toban Djan, is a Chinese chili bean paste made from fermented soybeans, broad beans, and hot chilies. Gochujang is a good substitute for great flavor and a nice level of spiciness. Try it with a simple Teriyaki sauce for a flavorful variation.
- Serving Options. You can serve beef stir fry on it's own, as it is pretty much a balanced meal of proteins and vegetables. However, it is popularly served over rice or with noodles, which will allow you more servings.
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy my beef stir fry recipe. Let me know if you make it and how you change it up to make it your own. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you. Keep it spicy!
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes
- Spicy Shrimp Stir Fry
- Pork Stir Fry
- Chicken Stir Fry
- Teriyaki Shrimp Stir Fry
- Drunken Noodles
- Spicy Chicken Fried Rice
- Lomo Saltado (Peruvian Beef Stir Fry with French Fries)
- Spicy Ramen Noodles
- Miso Ramen
- Yakisoba Noodles
- Stir Fry Sauce
- Gochujang Sauce
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Beef Stir Fry Recipe
FOR THE STIR FRY SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons doubanjiang or use gochujang - use less for milder stir fry sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons hot paprika or use 1/2 tablespoon cayenne + 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika – you can use other spicier chili powders as well
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or use honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
FOR THE BEEF STIR FRY
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or use olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1.5 pounds beef ribeye cut into strips or bite-sized pieces (you can use other cuts of beef - see the recipe notes)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces broccoli chopped
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped (or use your favorite spicy chili pepper)
- For Serving: Chopped green onion, spicy red pepper flakes
MAKE THE STIR FRY SAUCE
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl until well combined. Set aside until ready to use.
MAKE THE BEEF STIR FRY
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok to high heat.
- Toss the beef with the corn starch, salt and pepper to coat. Add the beef to the hot pan and cook for 2 minutes or to your preference, stirring often. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the broccoli and chopped peppers to the hot pan. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the stir fry sauce and stir. Bring to a quick boil, then simmer for 3 minutes, stirring a bit, or until the vegetables are cooked to your liking. The stir fry sauce will thicken in the pan and coat the pork and vegetables.
- Stir the beef back into the pan with the vegetables and warm through.
- Garnish and serve. I like my beef stir fry with either steamed white rice or stir fry noodles.