Chicken Enchiladas Verde with Cheese
This recipe for chicken enchiladas verde is made with a classic homemade green enchilada sauce, tender, juicy pulled chicken, then smothered in melty cheese and baked to perfection. This is the best chicken enchiladas verde dish ever. Perfect for dinner and the leftovers are even better.
Very recently I updated my post for the Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe to include a recipe video as well as more detailed steps in the cooking process.
So NATURALLY I needed to use it. Right? It just makes sense! When you have yourself basically the absolute BEST green enchilada verde sauce on the planet in your possession, it is a moral imperative to go make yourself some enchiladas.
Like these! We’re talking Chicken Enchiladas Verde with LOTS of cheese melted over the top, and you know what? These truly ROCK!
These enchiladas are cheesy and just slightly spicy and tangy from the homemade green enchilada sauce because I used a good amount of chili peppers as well as lime juice and tomatillos for one of the best flavor combinations known to man.
This is not an exaggeration!
Patty is IN LOVE with these enchiladas, so much so that she will occasionally threaten me if I don’t make them for her. So here we are! Making chicken enchiladas verdes!
Let’s talk about how YOU can also make them at home, shall we?
How to Make Chicken Enchiladas Verde with Cheese – The Recipe Method
First, heat a small pan to medium heat and add the olive oil.
Season your chicken with the blend of seasonings, then sear the chicken a couple minutes per side to let it brown up.
Pour in the broth or beer and cover. Reduce the heat to low and let the chicken simmer about 30 minutes, or until it cooks through and becomes very tender.
Remove the chicken from the heat and shred it with a fork. I set it into a separate bowl for this.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spoon some of the green enchilada sauce onto the bottom of a 8×11 baking dish and spread it out, just enough to cover the bottom.
Spoon the chicken into each of the corn tortillas and roll them up. Set them side by side in the dish onto the seams of the tortillas. They will all nestle up together.
Pour on the rest of the green enchilada sauce, then top with cheese. You can easily add more cheese than I added, to your preference.
Bake the chicken enchiladas verdes for 20 minutes, or until the cheeses are nicely melted.
Remove from heat and top with your favorite toppings.
How Much Will This Serve?
My chicken enchiladas verde recipe will serve 4-6 people very easily. If you’re super hungry, serve 4.
Also, these are GREAT the next day. We’re only a 2 person household, so I can make this exact size recipe, enjoy it for dinner, then enjoy it again for lunch the next day.
Use the microwave to warm the corn tortillas so they are more pliable, or warm them in the oven. Otherwise they might split when you try to fill them with the shredded chicken.
If you’d like to save time, you can pan cook the chicken then chop it instead of waiting for it to become tender and shreddable. You can also use rotisserie chicken if you’d like, or leftover cooked chicken.
As a variation, use tender shredded pork shoulder instead of chicken. It is SO GOOD! But so is this recipe.
Like Mike said, I am IN LOVE with Enchiladas Verde. I could eat verde sauce every day. I just love the flavor of tomatillos and I really love this spiced up version. Whenever I have a chance I choose enchiladas at a Mexican restaurant. Now….if only I could figure out a way to convince Mike to make this more often!!
Try My Other Popular Mexican Recipes
- Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- Chicken Enchiladas Rojas
- Red Enchilada Sauce
- Beef Enchiladas
- Mexican Picadillo
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Mexican Chicken Tortas
- Salsa Verde
- Salsa Roja
- Chile Relleno Casserole
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #ChiliPepperMadness on Instagram so we can take a look. I always love to see all of your spicy inspirations. Thanks! — Mike H.
Chicken Enchiladas Verde with cheese – Recipe
- 1 pound chicken breast or chicken thighs boneless (You can also use pre-cooked chicken as a time saver)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth or use a Mexican style lager
FOR THE ENCHILADAS
- 3 cups Green Enchilada Sauce use 4 cups for a saucier version
- 8 corn tortillas warmed
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
FOR SERVING: Fresh chopped cilantro, chopped fresh jalapenos or serranos, fresh cut limes, diced tomato, spicy chili flakes, your favorite hot sauce
- Heat a small pan to medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Season the chicken with the blend of seasonings, then sear the chicken a couple minutes per side to let it brown up.
- Pour in the broth or beer and cover. Reduce the heat to low and let the chicken simmer about 30 minutes, or until it cooks through and becomes very tender. Remove from heat and shred it with a fork.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spoon some of the green enchilada sauce onto the bottom of a 8x11 baking dish and spread it out, just enough to cover the bottom.
- Spoon the chicken into each of the corn tortillas and roll them up. Set them side by side in the dish onto the seams of the tortillas. They will all nestle up together.
- Pour on the rest of the green enchilada sauce, then top with cheese.
- Bake the chicken enchiladas verdes for 20 minutes, or until the cheeses are nicely melted.
- Remove from heat and top with your favorite toppings.