Ghost Pepper Candied Bacon is the best of both worlds - sweet and extra spicy! Made with ghost pepper chili flakes, sriracha sauce, brown sugar and pure maple syrup, this bacon is anything but bland. Beware... it's incredibly addictive and one of the best bites you will ever experience!
Ghost Pepper Candied Bacon Recipe
Okay, just... WOW. This recipe is no joke. It's seriously one of the tastiest bites I've had in a while, and DANG! I've had a lot of bites. Truly, there's something about candied bacon that, after a single bite simply overwhelms your other senses. It forces your brain to center solely on the pleasure of your taste buds, forgoing all other sensory input.
Go ahead and take a bite if you don't believe me. Feel your muscles go slack as the ultimate combination of sweet and spicy melts onto your tongue in the most mouthwatering melody ever! Am I being overly dramatic here? I think not, because every time I've served this spicy candied bacon to friends, it gets more compliments than I can handle.
Why Make Sweet and Spicy Candied Bacon?
- It's perfect for spice lovers. Made with both crushed ghost pepper flakes and sriracha sauce, this easy candied bacon recipe is ideal for those who like some serious heat.
- Makes for a unique appetizer. I like to serve it in smaller parties as a starter. People walking in the door are greeted with hellos, drinks, and candied bacon. Wouldn't you love to enjoy a nice piece of candied bacon upon arrival? I sure would!
- Hello, brunch! Your homemade bloody mary just got so much better.
The addition of subtle sweetness to the bacon gives it a dessert-like quality, though it's not quite dessert. Surely you can serve it as a dessert, and I am adding this to our Spicy Desserts Recipes Category, but it's more of a snack, appetizer, or spicy bloody mary garnish.
It's also extremely portable, so bring it along for tailgating parties, concerts, walks in the park, pretty much anywhere you want to make friends quickly.
Ingredients for Ghost Pepper Candied Bacon
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- Sriracha sauce
- Crushed ghost pepper flakes
This list of ingredients is just how we like it - short and sweet!
How to Make Spicy Candied Bacon - the Recipe Method
First, you'll mix together brown sugar, pure maple syrup, sriracha sauce and ghost pepper chili flakes in a bowl.
For the ghost pepper flakes, I crushed some ghost peppers that I had dehydrated from my garden. You can find dried ghost pepper flakes or powders online.
Spread the bacon out over a baking sheet and rub them down with your sweet and spicy mixture.
Get both sides. Rub them down good!
Bake them for 30 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked through and JUST starting to crisp up.
That's it. Enjoy the heck out of them.
- Use foil. It helps to wrap the pan in aluminum foil first for easy clean up.
- Don't over-bake. The bacon strips will crisp up a bit more after you remove them from the oven and they cool.
- Use a wire cooling rack. Cooling the cooked bacon on a wire rack helps it stay nice and crispy as the extra fats drip down.
Once your ghost pepper bacon cools to room temperature, you can transfer it to an airtight container and keep it stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Try Some of My Other Ghost Pepper Recipes
I love cooking with ghost peppers and have a number of spicy ghost pepper recipes to share with you. Here's a list of a few of my favorite bold recipes:
- Sweet and Spicy Ghost Pepper Candied Bacon
- Sweet Ghost Pepper-Pineapple-Pear Hot Sauce
- Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce
- Ghost Pepper Chicken Curry
- Ghost Pepper Chicken Wings
- Fresh Ghost Pepper Salsa
- Pineapple-Mango Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce
- Homemade Ghost Pepper Chili Hot Sauce
- Ghost Pepper Remoulade
- Homemade Chili Powders
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Sweet and Spicy Ghost Pepper Candied Bacon Recipe
- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed ghost pepper flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the bacon out over a large baking sheet.
- Mix together the brown sugar, maple syrup, sriracha sauce and ghost pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- Rub each bacon slice down with your spice mixture. Get them good and coated!
- Bake the bacon for 30 minutes, or until is just getting crispy.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. It will crisp up more in that time.
This recipe was updated on 1/8/19 to include new photos and video. It was originally published on 8/4/17.