This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CreateWithOil #CollectiveBias
Give “Taco Night” a Caribbean twist with crunchy breaded coconut shrimp lightly fried in coconut oil, topped with pineapple-mango salsa. Here is the recipe.
Tacos. Has there ever been a more perfect food? I think not. There is something about the almighty taco that satisfies like nothing else can, and – lucky for all of us taco lovers in the world – they come in so many different versions!
Like this particular recipe, which you’re going to want to print off right away and store in your “Favorite Recipes” binder. We’re making Caribbean Coconut Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple-Mango Salsa.
Oh YES, we are.
Also lucky for us, we are working with LouAna Coconut Oil to REALLY highlight that coconut flavor. Yes!
Coconut oil is one of the most versatile of cooking oils there is, ideal for light pan frying, sautéing, even drizzling over your favorite foods. LouAna has over 120 years of producing some of the best cooking oils in the country and sells more coconut oil than any other brand.
So what are we waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
About the Salsa
First, let’s talk salsa. This one is super simple and you can make it ahead of time if you’d like to save yourself a bit of time. It’s all dicing and mixing, nothing difficult at all.
You’ll only need a few ingredients - pineapple, mango, chiles, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and a bit of salt and pepper.
Or, try a habanero, but if those are too hot for you, a milder pepper will do you just fine. Go with your preferred heat level.
For the highlight of this recipe – the AWESOME Coconut Shrimp! We’ll be lightly frying them in LouAna Coconut Oil, so follow these steps.
How to Make Caribbean Coconut Shrimp Tacos - The Recipe Method
First, season the shrimp with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. You can use other seasonings as you prefer, but seasoning ahead is important rather than simply seasoning the dredging flour. You want a nice level of flavor, so season liberally.
Next, set 3 bowls next to each other in a row. This will be your shrimp coating station.
To the first bowl, mix together flour with a bit of paprika. Again, feel free to use other seasonings here if you’d like.
To the second bowl, add the eggs and beat thoroughly.
To the third bowl, add the panko and toasted coconut. Mix well. If you can’t find toasted coconut, purchase any unsweetened coconut flakes and set them into a dry pan.
Heat to medium and cook them, tossing occasionally, a couple minutes until they begin to brown. It’s super easy and will bring in even MORE coconut flavor.
Add Coconut Oil to a medium sized pan and heat it to moderately high heat.
You’ll want enough oil to fill to about ½ inch in depth, at least enough to cover half of the coated shrimp. Don’t let the oil begin to smoke.
Now, dredge the shrimp into the flour and tap off the excess. Then, dip it into the egg, then coat with the panko mixture.
Fry each shrimp in the coconut oil in batches a couple of minutes each side, until the coating becomes crispy and nicely browned. You’ll see them become nice and crispy and you’ll want to eat them right out of the pan, but don’t! Wait for the awesome tacos!
Finally, remove the shrimp and set them onto a paper towel to drain off the excess oil. Now you’re ready to make tacos! YES! Heaven!
Add 2-3 Coconut Shrimp to a toasted corn tortilla, then top with your salsa and perhaps a bit of your favorite hot sauce. I whipped together a quick spicy cream with crema, hot sauce and lime juice, then drizzled it over the top. Go with what you love!
I hope you enjoy them!
Grab yourself a jar of LouAna Coconut Oil and give this recipe a try: LouAna Coconut Oil Web Site.
Try Some of My Other Popular Shrimp or Fish Taco Recipes
- My Favorite Fish Tacos
- Szechuan Salmon Tacos
- Beer Battered Fish Tacos With Spicy Habanero Slaw
- Baja Fish Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Caribbean Coconut Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple-Mango Salsa – Recipe
- LouAna Coconut Oil
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons paprika divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup lightly toasted coconut flakes
FOR THE SALSA
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- ½ cup diced mango
- 1-2 serrano peppers diced
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly toasted corn tortillas
- Your favorite hot sauce
- Season the shrimp with 1 teaspoon paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Set 3 bowls next to each other. To the first bowl, mix together the flour and remaining paprika.
- To the second bowl, add the eggs and beat thoroughly.
- To the third bowl, add the panko and toasted coconut. Mix well.
- Add LouAna Coconut Oil to a medium sized pan and heat over moderately high heat. You’ll want enough oil to fill to about ½ inch in depth.
- Dredge the shrimp into the flour and tap off the excess. Then, dip it into the egg, then coat with the panko mixture. Fry each shrimp in the coconut oil in batches a couple of minutes each side, until the coating becomes crispy and nicely browned. Remove and set onto a paper towel to dry.
- Mix the salsa ingredients together in a bowl.
- Serve the crunchy shrimp over lightly toasted corn tortillas, then top with salsa and a bit of hot sauce.