This black bean salad is loaded with fresh corn, creamy avocado, crunchy onions and chilies, all tossed in a zesty vinaigrette, a perfect side dish.
Easy Black Bean and Corn Salad
If you're looking for a Black Bean Salad recipe that blows away all the others, you've come to the right place, my spicy food loving friends.
This black bean and corn salad is the perfect combination of crunchy and softer textures with loads of fresh chilies and corn, creamy black beans and avocados, wonderful spices, all tossed in a zingy vinaigrette.
If you're in need of a quick and easy dish to bring to your next party, or a side for your next BBQ, this is a dish you need to have on hand.
Why This is the Best Black Bean Salad
My black bean salad recipe is different from the rest in that it focuses on the the zest factor with spicy chilies as well as the zingy vinaigrette. If you're a spicy food lover, this is definitely for you.
You can very easily adjust that heat and spice factor to your own personal preferences, whether you enjoy a mild level of heat or prefer mind blowing spiciness. The choice is yours.
I hope you love this dish as much as we do.
Let's talk about how to make black bean salad, shall we?
Black Bean Salad Ingredients
- Black Beans. I use canned black beans, rinsed and drained, though you can soak dried black beans for this recipe.
- Chili Peppers. I use red bell pepper and a couple jalapeno peppers for a bit of heat factor. Use green bell pepper instead of jalapeno for a milder version. Use spicy serrano peppers to really give it some kick.
- Red Onion.
- Corn. I love fresh corn from the cob, but frozen or canned is great here.
- Avocado. Get a nice and ripe avocado for best results.
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- Olive Oil.
- White Wine Vinegar.
- Fresh Lime Juice.
- Seasonings. Cumin, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Hot Sauce. Optional, to taste. I usually add in a couple tablespoons for some extra zing.
How to Make Black Bean Salad - the Recipe Method
The Black Beans. Pour the drained and rinsed black beans into a large bowl. Canned black beans makes this recipe quick and easy.
Mix in the Ingredients. Mix in the peppers, onion, corn, avocado, garlic, and chopped cilantro.
If your avocado is very soft, wait and mix it in at the end to avoid squashing them.
Make the Vinaigrette. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, hot sauce and a bit of salt and pepper.
Hot sauce can be used "to taste" here. Use your favorite brand with a heat level you enjoy.
Mix it All Together. Pour it into the mixing bowl and mix everything until it is nicely coated. Adjust for salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
Chill and Serve. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Longer is better for develop more flavor.
Boom! Done! Your zesty black bean salad is ready to serve. I love how easy it is to whip this together. It's a great side dish for barbecues, quick get togethers, or an anytime meal accompaniment.
Such a great recipe, and naturally gluten free.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Try adding fresh chopped tomato or freshly roasted chilies for an additional flavor combination.
- Add in your own favorite chili powder blend to make this recipe your own.
Serving Black Bean Salad
Black bean salad is perfect as a side dish for barbecues or backyard gatherings to accompany anything off the grill.
It's also an ideal appetizer served along with crispy tortilla chips for snacking. Try it with some of these recipes:
This recipe will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container. However, if you'd like to make it ahead of time, I suggest adding in the avocado just before serving.
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy this aloo gobi recipe. Let me know if you make it. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you, and if you decided to spice it up!
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes
- Mike's Zesty Three Bean Salad
- Cowboy Beans
- Cajun Red Beans and Rice
- Cowboy Caviar
- Cajun Corn Maque Choux
- Spicy Creamy Coleslaw
- Sweet and Tangy Vinegar Coleslaw
- Cuban Black Beans
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Black Bean Salad Recipe
- 2 cans black beans (15 ounces each) drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped (use green bell pepper for a milder version)
- 1 small red onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1.5 cups fresh corn from 1 ear of corn - frozen or canned is okay to use
- 1 avocado diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon spicy chili flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce or to taste – I like to use a couple tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the drained and rinsed black beans into a large bowl.
- Mix in the peppers, onion, corn, avocado, garlic, and cilantro.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, cumin, paprika, chili flakes, hot sauce and a bit of salt and pepper. Pour it into the mixing bowl and mix everything until it is nicely coated. Adjust for salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Longer is better for develop more flavor.