Cajun Tater Tot Casserole features oven roasted turkey breast, slow roasted ham, bold Cajun spices and golden tater tots. Bring your appetite, because this easy recipe is seriously hearty and filling!
This post is sponsored by The Hillshire Brands Company. All comments and opinions are my own.
Cajun Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
I've been thinking a lot about summer lately since it's right around the corner. For us, summer means parties - and parties means appetizers! Something that always satisfies a crowd is this easy to make Cajun tater tot casserole. My friends enjoy my spicy cooking, and that’s what they’re going to get with this Cajun ham and turkey tater tot casserole!
It’s loaded with Hillshire Farm Premium Carved Slow Roasted Seasoned Ham and Hillshire Farm Premium Carved Oven Roasted Turkey Breast. I like to spice it up with serrano peppers, jalapeño peppers and my own favorite Cajun seasoning blend, but you can easily adjust it to your own heat preferences. Spicy doesn’t have to mean hot!
Just extra tasty.
Maybe I need to make two of them! You might need to. Seriously.
Spicy Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
- Jalapeño Pepper
- Serrano Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Crema or Sour Cream
- Cajun Seasonings
- Salt and Pepper
- Roasted Ham
- Roasted Turkey Breast
- Smoked Gouda Cheese
- Tater Tots
- Garnishes: Spicy chili flakes fresh chopped herbs, hot sauce as desired
Why You'll Love Cajun Tater Tot Casserole
- It's got some serious spice. You can control the amount of heat here, but I like to kick things up a notch with serrano peppers! If you're anything like me, you'll love this casserole as spicy as you can get it.
- SO easy to make. The steps for this tater tot casserole recipe are concise and straight to the point. You won't find any hassle here!
- Inexpensive. This budget-friendy recipe utilizes ingredients that you can easily grab from your local grocery store in a pinch.
How to Make Cajun Tater Tot Casserole – the Recipe Method
First, preheat your oven to 425°F. We’re going to bake this up.
Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a 14-inch cast iron pan over medium heat. Any oven safe pan will do.
Add 4 tablespoons of flour and stir to form a roux. Stir constantly until the mixture begins to brown, about 5 minutes. See my video on how to make a roux for a good demonstration.
Stir in some onion, peppers and celery. Cook down for about 5 minutes to soften.
Add 3 chopped cloves of garlic and cook another minute, stirring.
Add the chicken broth, Cajun seasonings and salt and pepper. Stir continuously until it thickens up, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the crema or sour cream until it is incorporated through.
Add in the ham and turkey. It's so meaty!
Stir it through.
Top the whole thing with shredded cheese.
Top with tater tots, like so.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tots are crispy brown.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Turn down the heat. You can dial down the heat factor by omitting the serrano pepper and jalapeño peppers. Or, try coring them out to remove some of the overall heat that comes from the innards. Serrano peppers are quite a bit hotter than jalapeños, so skip them entirely if you’d like.
- Or, turn UP the heat! If you’d like it hotter, skip the bell pepper and use more jalapeño and serrano. You can also add in more Cajun blend.
- Make your own Cajun seasoning. My Homemade Creole Seasoning recipe adds the best flavor to this dish. Most store-bought brands have tons of sodium, so I don't recommend going that route if you can help it.
You can learn more about the products here:
- Hillshire Farm Premium Carved Slow Roasted Seasoned Ham
- Hillshire Farm Premium Carved Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- Hillshire Farm Premium Carved Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken Breast
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Cajun Ham and Turkey Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 jalapeño pepper chopped
- 1 serrano pepper chopped (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup crema or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasonings
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5.5 ounces Roasted Ham chopped
- 5.5 ounces Roasted Turkey Breast chopped
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 32 ounce bag tater tots frozen
- FOR SERVING: Spicy chili flakes fresh chopped herbs, hot sauce as desired
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a 14-inch cast iron pan to medium heat. Add butter and let it melt.
- Add the flour and stir to form a roux. Stir constantly until the mixture begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, peppers and celery. Cook down for about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute, stirring.
- Add the chicken broth, Cajun seasonings and salt and pepper. Stir continuously until it thickens up, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the crema or sour cream until it is incorporated through.
- Stir in the ham and turkey.
- Top the whole thing with shredded cheese.
- Top with tater tots and bake for 30 minutes, or until the tots are crispy brown.
- Sprinkle with spicy chili flakes and fresh chopped herbs. Enjoy!