This decadent beer-cheese soup is extra cheesy and flavored with peppers and Cajun seasonings, then topped with crumbled chorizo for explosive flavor. Here is the recipe.
OH MY. I know, I really shouldn't have. But I had to. Something deep down inside of me yearned, cried out for this uber-cheesy soup. I have no one to blame but myself. I REFUSE to feel bad, though! It's OK to be a bit bad every once in awhile, and truly, it isn't OVERLY decadent. I mean, it's cheese! And beer! And chorizo! Three of my very favorite foods bundled up into one delicious bowl.
The primary reason this soup came into existence is because of the contents of my fridge. We have accumulated so much cheese over the past several weeks for different recipes and when I looked into our cheese drawer, I was shocked at how many partial cheese blocks we had! As food bloggers, we're constantly buying ingredients for planned dishes, but you don't always use up the whole package, especially when there are only two of us here. I can make larger batches and eat some of the leftovers, which we do, but there is only so much you can give away. So into the fridge the extra ingredients go until one day I find them forming a mountain and I am forced to do something with them. I truly hate to waste food, so what to do with so much cheese?
Yes. Beer Cheese Soup. SUPER CHEESY Beer Cheese Soup. And topped with chorizo, because, you know, that's how we roll around here.
For the cheeses, I used a combination of shredded cheddar cheese, a Mexican blend of white and yellow cheeses, a bit of goat cheese and some shredded pepper jack. Overall it measured to around the size of a 16 ounce block of cheese. For simplicity, I wrote the recipe using only cheddar cheese, but a couple things on that. First, feel free to vary up the cheeses. Certain cheeses melt differently, though, like harder cheeses, so choose accordingly. Second, you can reduce the amount of cheese for a thinner soup, or add even MORE cheese for super-super cheesiness. Personally, I elect for MORE cheese. If you're going to do that, you may need to add in a bit of extra beer to the mix, or possibly some chicken broth or even water, to thin the soup very slightly. Or just keep it thick and cheesy. The choice is yours. Nothing wrong with a gooey cheese soup. In fact, there is lot RIGHT about that. Believe me. Enjoy!
Patty's Perspective: OMG. Being raised in the Midwest, beer cheese soup is everywhere. I certainly don't mind it for dinner. Who doesn't love a good cheese soup? Bring it!
Super Cheesy Beer Cheese Soup with Chorizo – Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 large red sweet pepper, chopped
- 4 small yellow potatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups pale ale beer - you can sub in a light beer
- 12-16 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded – or try a combination of cheeses, like goat cheese, pepper jack, etc.
- 4 ounces cooked chorizo for topping
- Heat a large pot to medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion, peppers and potatoes. Cook 6-7 minutes to soften.
- Add Cajun seasonings and flour. Mix well. Cook a couple minutes, then add butter. Melt and stir. Cook a couple minutes to allow the roux to darken slightly.
- Add beer and stir. Cook a few minutes, stirring a bit, until it thickens slightly.
- Add cheeses a few ounces at a time, stirring often, until all of the cheese is incorporated and of soup consistency. If it is too thick, add a bit of chicken stock to thin.
- Serve into bowls and top with a bit of chorizo.
This will make 4 good sized bowls of cheesy decadence.