Turn your leftover prime rib roast into a sandwich with this recipe, serving thinly sliced prime rib on toasted Italian rolls, topped with melted cheese and a zesty horseradish cream sauce that whips together easily.
Did you, or ARE you making a standing prime rib roast for the holidays this year? If so, you WILL have leftovers. I can almost guarantee it. As you recall, we made a HUGE prime rib roast recently - see the Chili Rubbed Prime Rib Roast with Horseradish Cream Sauce Post - and yeah, we had leftovers. I sliced and froze the leftover meat for later use. Glad I did! You certainly don't want any of that prime rib to go to waste. The flavor is sensational and you know what, it makes for an OUTSTANDING sandwich.
LIKE SO. Prime Rib Sandwich with Horseradish Cream Sauce.
Seriously. We loved the first recipe so much, I whipped together the same sauce to drizzle - OK, drench! - over the top of the sandwich. Just look at it. Sure, it's a messy sammich, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's super easy to make, of course. I like easy. Just take your slices of prime rib and drape them over some toasted rolls. I heated mine in a pan with a bit of oil for about a minute first, but you can start with cold roast beef. Either way.
Top them with shredded cheese - I used Colby - then pop them into the hot oven until the cheese melts. I have to file this one under Quick and Easy recipes.
Don't forget the jalapeno peppers. Roasted jalapeno peppers are a MUST for many a sandwich, particularly when it comes to prime rib sandwiches. I realize I may have gone a WEE BIT overboard with the roasted jalapeno slices, but my #JalapenoObsession is well documented. My fault. I know.
For the sauce, I've mentioned a couple times how easy this is to whip together. That is because, you know what? It's EASY to whip together. Or should I say whisk. Simply whisk together crema or sour cream with prepared horseradish, spicy mustard and white wine vinegar. Season it with salt and pepper to your personal tastes and DRIZZLE it over your prime rib sandwich. Or go ahead and do what I did and add a lot. It's TOO GOOD to drizzle sometimes.
Give it a go! I hope you enjoy it!
Patty's Perspective: I really love the combination of horseradish with prime rib. There is no better combination. Since it's leftovers, why not make it fun? I always love it cheesy. Most definitely do not let that prime rib go to waste.
Prime Rib Sandwich with Horseradish Cream Sauce – Recipe
- 8-10 ounces medium-rare prime rib, sliced thin
- 2 Italian rolls, lightly toasted
- 3 ounces shredded Colby or sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup crema or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 jalapeno peppers, roasted and sliced into rings
- Divide the thinly sliced prime rib onto the Italian rolls. If you want a warmer sandwich, you can heat the prime rib in a lightly oiled pan for a minute or so beforehand.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Set into a toaster oven and toast until the cheese is nicely melted, about 4 minutes or so. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together sour cream, horseradish, mustard and vinegar. Adjust with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the melted cheese, then top with sliced roasted jalapeno peppers.