This post has been sponsored by The Kraft Heinz Company. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
You gotta love a good cheese dog! Here is my recipe for grilled hot dogs topped with super easy homemade nacho cheese, pickled jalapeno peppers and crushed tortilla chips. Nachos on a hot dog!
It’s time to fire up the grill, my friends. It’s party time. This awesome weather is BEGGING for a cookout, and we’re making this one incredibly easy by grilling up some Oscar Mayer hot dogs.
I’ve always been a big hot dog fan. Growing up in the Chicago area, I often enjoyed them in the bleachers of Wrigley field, watching the Cubs bat the ball around, or in the seats of Arlington Park hoping my horse would come in first.
I often go for a Chicago-style hot dog, but in my heart, and stomach, I hold a very special place for a good old cheese dog. But not just any cheese dog.
I’m talking about a Nacho Dog.
There is something extraordinary about the combination of tangy, slightly spicy nacho cheese drizzled over the top of a perfectly grilled hot dog. Top the whole thing with extra pickled jalapeno peppers and crushed tortilla chips and what you have is nothing short of spectacular.
So that’s exactly what we’re serving up today – The Ultimate Nacho Cheese Dog.
Let’s do this together, shall we? For the love of hot dogs. First thing you gotta do is run down to Walmart and grab yourself a package of Oscar Mayer hot dogs. I’ll wait right here for you.
You don’t need a ton of ingredients to make The Ultimate Nacho Cheese Dogs. All you need are a few packages of hot dogs, buns, pickled jalapeno peppers, diced tomato if you’d like, tortilla chips and your homemade nacho cheese ingredients.
Putting it all together is easy enough. Aside from grilling the hot dogs and crushing a few tortilla chips, you only need to make the nacho cheese, which takes about 5 minutes, or possibly 10 if you’re a slow cook like me.
We’re making our nacho cheese from scratch because that’s just how I roll.
So let’s get to work! Let's make the Ultimate Nacho Cheese Dog.
How to Make Homemade Nacho Cheese
First, start by melting a couple tablespoons of butter in a pan. Swirl in a couple tablespoons of flour and let it cook a couple minutes. The mixture will start to foam up.
Next, slowly whisk in a cup of milk. Keep stirring and simmering, until the whole thing thickens enough to coat a spoon. It should only take a couple minutes.
Reduce the heat to very low and stir in 8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese a bit at a time. Keep stirring until all of the cheese is melted. It should be very creamy.
Finally, stir in about ¼ cup of jalapeno pickling liquid from a jar of pickled jalapeno peppers. I like to toss in a few of the pickled jalapeno peppers, too. Why? Mike’s #JalapenoObsession.
Ladies and gentleman, you now have yourself some awesome homemade nacho cheese! Yes! Life is good.
Keep the cheese warm while you’re grilling up your hot dogs. Fire up that grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grates.
Toss those hot dogs on and give them a nice char.
Set the buns onto the grill as well to give them a light toasting.
When it’s all ready, slip those gorgeous dogs into the buns, top them with melty nacho cheese, a light (or heavy!) dusting of crushed tortilla chips, and a healthy portion of pickled jalapeno peppers.
I sometimes go a little crazy and accidentally bury my dogs in jalapenos, but hey! I’m crazy like that.
Add on some diced tomato, too, so the jalapenos aren’t so lonely on top.
I hope you enjoy your nacho dogs! You know you want these!
Check Out Some of My Other Popular Grilled Sausage Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Beer Brats with Spicy Habanero Sauce
- Grilled Beer Brats with Homemade Beer Cheese
- Choripán Argentina – Grilled Chorizo with Chimichurri and Salsa Criolla
- Chicago-Style Hot Dog
Try Some of My Other Popular Grilling Recipes
- Grilled Steakhouse Burgers
- Grilled Marinated London Broil
- Grilled Harissa Chicken Legs
- Crispy Grilled Ghost Pepper Wings
Also, try this Classic Homemade Nachos Recipe (The Original Recipe).
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS.Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
The Ultimate Nacho Cheese Dog Recipe
- 8 hot dogs
FOR THE HOMEMADE NACHO CHEESE
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeno juice or more as needed
- Salt to taste
- Pickled jalapeno slices
- Crushed corn tortillas
- Diced tomato if desired
- 8 lightly toasted buns
- Make the cheese first by heating a pan or pot to medium heat. Add butter and melt.
- Stir in flour and whisk to incorporate. Cook about a minute. The mixture will foam up a bit.
- Reduce heat to low. Slowly whisk in milk and simmer while whisking until the mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese a bit at a time until all of the cheese is melted and very creamy.
- Stir in pickled jalapeno juice. Keep warm.
- Heat grill to medium heat. Add hot dogs and grill them a couple minutes per side, until you get some nice char marks.
- Serve the hot dogs on lightly toasted buns, then top with nacho cheese, crushed tortilla chips, pickled jalapeno slices, and diced tomato, if desired.
Leave a Reply