This shrimp fried rice recipe is easy to make with shrimp and vegetables stir fried with rice in a spicy, savory sauce and lots of seasonings, my favorite!
Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
We're cooking up a big pan of Shrimp Fried Rice in the Chili Pepper Madness kitchen tonight, my friends. This recipe is super easy to make, and I know you're going to love it.
Shrimp fried rice is a go-to recipe in our home. It's perfect for the spicy food lover looking for something quick and easy to make that requires no fuss and very little prep.
It's very easy to customize with your own vegetables, and shrimp cooks up in practically no time.
You can whip the stir fry sauce together with simple pantry ingredients, and you can really make it as spicy as you want to, with extra chili flakes, extra spicy peppers, extra sriracha, or with a good old blast of your favorite hot sauce.
This is one of those recipes you want to have on hand for those busy, busy days when you want something spicy and tasty for dinner, but you don't want to spend a lot of time making it.
Forget takeout! Homemade is so much better.
Let's get cooking then, right?
Let's talk about how to make shrimp fried rice, shall we?
Shrimp Fried Rice Ingredients
- Olive Oil and Butter. For cooking. You can use one or the other if desired.
- Shrimp. Any size shrimp will work for this recipe.
- Chilies. I am using jalapeno peppers, though you can use Chinese chilies, like Tien Tsin or others. Use bell peppers for a milder version.
- Vegetables. I am using onion and carrot for the main vegetables, and garlic for seasoning. See the recipe notes for other options. You can easily customize your shrimp fried rice with other veggies.
- Chinese Five Spice. Chinese Five Spice is a flavor blend of different spices that really make this dish.
- Red Pepper Flakes. Optional, for a bit of extra heat and spice factor.
- Chili-Garlic Sauce. Try my homemade chili-garlic sauce recipe for a serious flavor boost, or use your favorite store bought brand.
- Cooked White Rice. Day old rice is best for this recipe, chilled.
- Green Onions.
- Soy Sauce.
- Fish Sauce. Or you can use oyster sauce.
- Sesame Oil.
- For Garnish. Chopped peppers spicy chili flakes, sliced green onions
How to Make Shrimp Fried Rice - the Recipe Method
Cook the Shrimp. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan or wok to medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper, then add to the hot pan. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked through. Remove shrimp from pan, cover, and set aside.
Cook the Eggs. Add the beaten eggs to the hot pan and cook, stirring, until the eggs set and are nice and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Cook the Vegetables. Return the pan to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the peppers, onion and carrot. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring a bit, until the vegetables soften.
Garlic and Spices. Add the garlic, Chinese 5 spice, chili flake, chil-garlic sauce, and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir and cook for 1 minute, until you can smell the gorgeous garlic.
Stir Fry the Rice. Add the butter and melt. Add the rice, green onions, soy sauce and fish sauce. Lightly stir fry the rice for 5 minutes, stirring a bit, until everything is combined.
Put it all Together. Stir in the sriracha, sesame oil and add the shrimp and scrambled eggs. Stir to combine and warm through 1-2 minutes.
Garnish and serve! It's time to eat!
Boom! Done! Your shrimp fried rice is ready to serve. Easy enough to make, isn't it? You can definitely spice this up as much as you'd like, and customize with your favorite vegetables.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- You can chop the shrimp into bite-sized pieces after you cook them for more uniform bites of shrimp fried rice. Patty likes it this way.
- Day old cold rice is best for making fried rice, as it is drier and fries more easily. If using rice that has been recently cooked, let it chill in the refrigerator, and try to dry it a bit with paper towels.
- You can use brown rice for this recipe if that is your preference.
- You can easily swap in other vegetables for this stir fry recipe. Use up whatever you have in your refrigerator, or use your favorites. Some ideas include other spicy peppers, bok choy, cabbage, baby corn, snap peas, frozen peas and carrots, green beans, so many options.
- Spice up your shrimp stir fry by adding hotter peppers to the mix, or with extra sriracha, hot sauce, chili-garlic sauce, or by adding spicy chili flakes to taste.
Shrimp fried rice will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container. Simply warm in a hot pan with a bit of oil for a few minutes to enjoy the leftovers.
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy my shrimp fried rice recipe. Let me know if you make it. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you, and if you decided to spice it up!
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Indonesian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
- Kimchi Fried Rice
- Curried Rice
- Spicy Shrimp Stir Fry
- Homemade Stir Fry Sauce
- Yakisoba Noodles
- Spicy Ramen Noodles
- Pad Thai Recipe
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 large eggs scrambled
- 2 jalapeno peppers diced (optional, for extra spicy - Use Chinese Tien Tsin peppers instead if you can obtain them – Or use bell pepper for mild)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon Chinese 5 spice
- 1 tablespoon spicy red pepper flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups cooked white rice chilled (day old rice is best for this recipe)
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons sriracha or to extra chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- FOR GARNISH: Chopped peppers spicy chili flakes, sliced green onions
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan or wok to medium-high. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper, then add to the hot pan. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked through. Remove shrimp from pan, cover, and set aside.
- Add scrambled eggs to the hot pan and cook, stirring, until the eggs set and are nice and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the peppers, onion and carrot. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring a bit, until the vegetables soften.
- Add the garlic, Chinese 5 spice, chili flake, chil-garlic sauce, and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir and cook for 1 minute, until you can smell the gorgeous garlic.
- Add the butter and melt. Stir in the rice, green onions, soy sauce and fish sauce. Lightly stir fry the rice for 5 minutes, stirring a bit, until everything is combined.
- Stir in the sriracha, sesame oil and reserved shrimp and scrambled eggs. Warm through 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish and serve!