Spice up your next waffle breakfast with this recipe - savory, fluffy waffles made with spicy serrano peppers, cheddar cheese and extra seasonings. Delicious!
My wife is now VERY happy. Patty is a total waffle fanatic. I mean, I greatly enjoy some waffles, but she is crazy for them. Not long ago as I was pitching story ideas to Chile Pepper Magazine for their Breakfasts issue, I jotted several down, and Patty called out "Waffles! You gotta do waffles!"
I pitched a "Savory, Spicy Waffles" idea and Patty was GIDDY when they chose that one.
So here we are, eating MORE spicy, savory waffles. You knew I had to make them spicy, right? But of course!
Sweet waffles are delicious, but when you bring in a savory-spicy element, they transform into something amazing. You can't get enough of these. Just ask Patty!
The waffle batter is easy enough to whip together, and you'd be amazed at how adaptable it is. You can add all sorts of flavorful, sweet or savory elements and the batter just keeps on kicking.
In this case, I've added a good measure of shredded cheddar cheese, a few chopped spicy serrano peppers, and a bit of taco seasoning to kick up the flavor a notch.
The cheese permeates the entire waffle and you'll get the cheddar flavor in every bite. To be honest, you could pretty easily include even MORE cheese if you're in the mood for a cheesier waffle. Seriously. GO FOR IT!
Don't forget the serrano peppers. If serranos are too spicy for you, you can swap them out for jalapeno peppers, or core them out to tame the heat a bit. OR! If you're wild and crazy, toss in a fiery habanero or maybe a ghost pepper. Come on, you crazy chiliheads!
I know you LOVE your heat.
Drizzle on a bit of pure maple syrup and some Mexican crema or sour cream. Honey is nice here, too. Just for that touch of sweetness.
Get waffling, my friends! Savory waffles await you! If you make this, send pics. Patty will be very happy and excited. -- Mike H.
I made this recipe for Chile Pepper Magazine. If you're interested in spicy cooking, get your subscription to "Chile Pepper Magazine", my friends! That's an affiliate link - FYI. I've been a regular contributor for a while now. Highly recommended!
Serrano-Cheddar Waffles - Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons melted butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 serrano peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For Serving: Maple syrup and Mexican crema
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Add the cheese, serrano peppers and salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until nearly smooth; it’s OK if it is still lumpy.
- Spray your waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray and preheat it according to your model’s instructions.
- Pour in the waffle mix as needed and cook 2-4 minutes, until cooked to your desired brownness.
- Remove and set onto a plate. Top with Serrano peppers and serve with maple syrup and Mexican crema.
This makes 6 waffles with my waffle maker, which makes Belgian style, 7 inch waffles that are nice and thick. Your amounts and cooking times may vary, so please follow your waffle iron instructions.