This huevos rancheros casserole recipe takes everything great about classic huevos rancheros and brings it all together in a single pan. It's an awesome breakfast or brunch!
Breakfast fans, I have an amazing new breakfast recipe here. You're definitely going to love this. Dare I say it may become your new favorite go-to for breakfast or brunch.
It's Huevos Rancheros Casserole. Say what?
YES! We're taking everything you love about classic, authentic Mexican Huevos Rancheros and we're turning it into a casserole. That means we're using all of those wonderful huevos rancheros ingredients and we're combining them into a one-dish breakfast that you can whip together pretty easily and bake it up.
Doesn't this sound fantastic? It sure does to me. And DANG did it come out delicious. And gorgeous, right? Just take a peek at it.
Looks great, tastes even BETTER. Let's talk about how we make this wonderful meal, shall we?
How to Make Huevos Rancheros Casserole - the Recipe Method
First, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet (I used my 14-inch cast iron pan) and add 1 chopped onion and 2-3 chopped peppers. I used 2 jalapeno peppers and a serrano pepper, but you can use others to your preference. Cook them down for 5 minutes to soften.
Add 3 cloves chopped garlic and cook another minute, until you can smell the gorgeous garlic.
Stir in a 15-ounce can of drained pinto beans, 2 cups ranchero sauce (see notes below) and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors develop.
Remove the sauce and bean mixture and reserve.
Next, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Using the same pan (or use a lightly oiled large baking dish or casserole dish), layer 5 corn tortillas onto the bottom.
Top with half the sauce and bean mixture, then half of the shredded cheese.
Repeat with 5 more corn tortillas, then sauce and bean mixture, then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Use a spoon to make impressions into the top layer, then crack the eggs into them.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the eggs set.
Remove and top with your toppings of choice. I used chili flakes, sliced avocado, sliced serranos, chopped fresh herbs, crumbly white cheese. Sour cream is great, too!
Is it just awesome! Dang! I love this stuff.
Servings: This will serve up 4 very hearty portions, or 6 lighter portions, depending on how hungry you are. I'm usually pretty hungry for this recipe. Maybe make a double batch.
About the Ranchero Sauce
I make my own homemade ranchero sauce with tomatoes, fresh peppers and dried chili powders, and it's absolutely delicious on so many foods. However you can use your favorite store bought brand. If you are unable to find any in stores, you can make a very simple version by simmering tomato sauce or fire roasted tomatoes in a pot with your typical chili powder, or use a variety of chili powders. I use chili powder, ancho powder, guajillo powder and chipotle powder, though chipotle sauce is a great option as well.
You can also make this recipe with enchilada sauce, which is a perfect alternative.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Meat Options. This recipe is a vegetarian option, but feel free to include a protein to round out the meal. Some great options are chorizo, ground beef or shredded chicken.
- The Beans. I'm using pinto beans for this recipe, but as an alternative, try it out with black beans, or a good quality refried beans.
- The Eggs. Using a spoon to make indentations in the top layer of the casserole is key in getting the eggs to set properly. Just press down with the underside of the spoon. If you just crack the eggs over the top without making indentations, the eggs wind up running down to the edges of the pan.
- Not Just for Breakfast. This is GREAT for breakfast or brunch, but consider serving it for dinner. It's filling any time of day!
- Pico de Gallo. For serving, try it out with a great homemade pico de gallo. It's perfect this way.
That's it, my friends! I hope you enjoy my huevos rancheros casserole recipe. Breakfast casseroles ROCK! It's quite easy to make, and WOW does it deliver on flavor. Let me know how it turns out for you!
Check Out Some of My Other Popular Breakfast or Brunch Recipes
- Easy Huevos Rancheros
- Migas – Scrambled Eggs with Crispy Tortillas
- Jacked-Shuka – Extra Spicy Eggs in Hell
- Chilaquiles Rojos with Ancho Chili Sauce
- Chorizo con Huevos
- Menemen (Turkish-Style Scrambled Eggs with Peppers)
- Spicy Pepper Lover’s Omelet
- Spicy Breakfast Tacos
- Loaded Mexican Omelette
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Mexican Lasagna
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Huevos Rancheros Casserole Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2-3 jalapeno peppers chopped
- 1 serrano pepper chopped (optional for extra spicy)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 15 ounces pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups ranchero sauce or use a 15 ounce can or tomato sauce or roasted diced tomatoes with seasonings - *See comments in the post above
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or use Monterrey Jack, Pepper Jack, or a combination of them all
- 4-6 eggs
- FOR TOPPINGS: Spicy chili flakes sliced avocado, sliced jalapenos or serranos, pico de gallo, chopped fresh herbs, crumbly white cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet (I used my 14-inch cast iron paand add the onion and peppers. Cook them down for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute, until you can smell the gorgeous garlic.
- Stir in the pinto beans, ranchero sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Remove the sauce and bean mixture and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using the same pan (or use a lightly oiled large baking dish), layer half of the tortillas onto the bottom.
- Top with half the sauce and bean mixture, then half of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas, then sauce and bean mixture, then shredded cheese.
- Use a spoon to make impressions into the top layer, then crack the eggs into them.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs set.
- Remove and top with your toppings of choice. I used chili flakes, sliced avocado, sliced serranos, chopped fresh herbs, crumbly white cheese.