An omelet recipe for the true chilihead made with silky eggs, cheddar cheese and a mixture of sauteed chili peppers, including flavorful jalapenos, spicy serranos, and fiery habanero peppers, all topped with your favorite hot sauce. This will wake you up in the morning!
Spicy Pepper Lovers Omelet
I go a bit crazy with chili peppers sometimes. Did you know this? I guess it's sort of obvious by the name of our foodblog, but what can I say? I'm wild for bold and zesty flavors and when I cook, it just sort of pours out of me. It's the stuff I desire, that spiciness, that level of heat that reminds you how truly alive you are, how vibrant a meal can be.
Yes, this is the stuff I crave.
Like this particular addition to the Chili Pepper Madness Breakfast Recipes Collection - The Spicy Pepper Lovers Omelet. Yes!
This omelet is rich and cheesy with loads of chili peppers that have been pan seared in oil and folded within, then topped with fresh herbs and a generous portion of your favorite hot sauce, of which I already KNOW you have many sitting in your refrigerator, just waiting for recipes like these.
Well, if you're like me, anyway.
I am fortunate to have a prodigious pepper harvest at the moment, so was able to pluck some of the freshest available directly from the pepper plants for this recipe. I could have included even MORE peppers if I wanted to, but didn't want to overwhelm the dish.
I used four peppers, which is a good amount for me. I chose a balance of sweet to hot, though if you're truly adventurous, you can include as many spicy-hot chili peppers as you wish.
Want to bring in the scorpions? Go for it! Reaper? I dare you! I'm sure there are many of you out there who could handle the heat.
In reality, this omelet is pretty darned spicy with habanero peppers and serrano peppers, though it's about the perfect level of heat for my tastes when it comes to breakfast.
It has a nice kick, but nothing TOO crazy. Again, choose peppers that fit your preferred heat levels. Just be sure to choose some that have good substance to them with thick pepper walls.
Here are the peppers I chose from the garden.
We have here a habanero pepper, serrano pepper, jalapeno pepper and a Gypsy Hybrid, which is a sweet pepper.
The process is simple, which is why this is also listed in our Quick and Easy Recipes category. You can make this pretty darned fast.
Just be sure to open a window or turn on your oven vent fan in case the fumes get to you.
Spicy Pepper Lovers Omelet Ingredients
- Olive Oil.
- Habanero Pepper. Sliced.
- Jalapeno Pepper. Sliced.
- Serrano Pepper. Sliced.
- Sweet Pepper. I used a Gypsy Hybrid.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
- Cheddar Cheese. Shredded.
- Fresh Chopped Herbs. For serving.
- Hot Sauce. Your favorite.
How to Make This Spicy Omelet - The Recipe Method
First things first - slice up the peppers thinly then saute them up a heated pan with a bit of olive oil.
Once they are cooked through and starting to get a bit crispy, remove them from the heat and set them aside. Heat the same pan back to medium heat and add a bit more olive oil.
Pour in the beaten eggs and cook a couple minutes until the eggs start to set. Season them with a bit of salt and pepper here, and hey, maybe some chili flakes for good measure if you're daring.
When the eggs are nearly set, add most of the peppers over the top, though reserve a few for garnishing. It's easiest to place the peppers on one side, as we will be folding it over.
Top it all with shredded cheese and fold the egg in half, covering the cheese and peppers. You'll have a half moon shape.
Cook another minute or so, or until the cheese is melted and gooey inside.
Slide it onto a plate and sprinkle with fresh herbs. I used cilantro. Top with the extra peppers.
You can go ahead and dig in at this point, but I highly recommend a healthy drizzle of hot sauce. Toss on a splash or 5. There is something about omelets and hot sauce. I never want to eat an omelet without the stuff.
NOW you can dig in!
I hope you enjoy it! Let me know how it turns out for you if you make it.
Spice it up!
Recipe Tips & Notes
- I chose a balance of sweet to hot, though if you're truly adventurous, you can include as many spicy-hot chili peppers as you wish.
- Just be sure to open a window or turn on your oven vent fan in case the fumes get to you.
- When ready, I highly recommend a healthy drizzle of hot sauce!
Storage & Leftovers
This spicy pepper lovers omelet can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days in the airtight container at room temperature. Make sure to cool the omelet before storing.
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Spicy Pepper Lovers Omelet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 habanero pepper sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced
- 1 serrano pepper sliced
- 1 large sweet pepper – I used a Gypsy Hybrid
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh chopped herbs for serving
- Your favorite hot sauce
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium heat and add the pepper slices. Saute them about 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes, until each side is nice and crispy. Remove the peppers from the heat.
- Heat the same pan to medium and add remaining olive oil. Beat the eggs and pour into the pan and cook a couple minutes, until the eggs start to set. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add most of the peppers onto the eggs (reserving a few for garnish), then add cheese.
- Fold one side of the eggs over the other to form a half moon. Cook another minute to allow the eggs to set and cheese to melt.
- Serve onto a plate and top with extra peppers and fresh herbs.
- Drizzle with your favorite hot sauce as desired! Enjoy!