Migas (Scrambled Eggs with Crispy Tortillas)
A quick and easy Migas recipe, which are lightly scrambled eggs with crispy tortillas, jalapeno peppers, tomato and melted cheese. The perfect Mexican breakfast.
Do you enjoy scrambled eggs with a Mexican twist? If so, you’re going to love Migas. Migas is a traditional Mexican breakfast dish of scrambled eggs that have been cooked with peppers, onions and tomato, then finished with homemade crispy fried tortilla strips and melty cheese.
It’s totally up your spicy food loving alley, isn’t it?
There are variations of this dish in different parts of the world, including Spain and Portugal, but this version is more of an American style, mostly Tex-Mex with a Mexican influence.
In different parts of Mexico, migas is made with crispy fried corn tortilla strips that are mixed up with scrambled eggs. Cooks often use leftover tortillas that have started to go stale, which is a perfect way to avoid waste.
What we’re doing here is cooking down peppers, onions and tomatoes, then adding a mixture of scrambled eggs to let them set.
You don’t want them to set too much, or else they’ll dry out. They’re best when they retain some of their moisture. When they’re just about done, we fold in some homemade fried tortilla strips and melty cheese, and…
It doesn’t get any better than this, my friends. Migas is nice and spicy and HUGE on flavor, and you can spice it up even more with your favorite hot sauce and spicy chili flakes, like I love to do.
Ready for some?
Let’s talk about how we make them, shall we? Let’s get cooking!
How to Make Migas – the Recipe Method
First, slice some corn tortillas into strips or squares, like so. I like to cut them into squares, as they incorporate more easily into the final dish, though strips are great, too.
Next, heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the sliced corn tortillas.
Fry them lightly in the hot oil until they crisp up, flipping a bit, about 4-5 minutes.
Remove them from the pan and add the tortillas onto a paper towel lined plate to drain. Sprinkle them with a bit of salt while they are hot.
Next, add the peppers and onion to the pan heated to medium and cook them down about 5 minutes. You can use a bit of olive oil if you need it. Stir in the tomato.
Next, add the eggs. Simply pour in the scrambled eggs. Sprinkle with a pinch salt and black pepper and stir.
Cook the eggs, stirring occasionally, about 2-3 minutes, or until the egg mixture just begins to set.
Remove from heat and stir in the reserved crispy tortillas and shredded cheese.
Top with spicy chili flakes, extra sliced peppers and avocado. And hot sauce if desired!
That’s it! Pretty easy, right? Super easy recipe. And CRAZY tasty. I just love these. They’re definitely a favorite breakfast of mine.
Serving Up Mexican Migas
Of course you can serve up your migas as a spicy breakfast or brunch, but try serving them into warmed corn tortillas for migas tacos. Don’t forget the hot sauce.
What is the Difference Between Chilaquiles and Migas?
Migas and chilaquiles are both breakfast dishes, and while they are quite similar, they are not the same dish. Migas are crushed or fried tortillas mixed with scrambled eggs, peppers, onion and tomato then topped with cheese. Chilaquiles, on the other hand, are fried tortillas or tortilla chips simmered in a sauce or salsa instead of eggs. Both are hearty, inexpensive breakfast dishes.
See my chilaquiles rojos recipe here.
About the Peppers
For this recipe, I’ve used both jalapeno pepper and red bell pepper. Jalapeno peppers will certainly give you a bit of heat, though more of an average level spiciness. I really love them for the balance of flavor and spice for everyday cooking.
You can also easily omit the jalapeno peppers and use only bell peppers for a milder version of this recipe.
Recipe Tips & Notes – Variations
- Make it a Bigger Meal. Migas is a great dish on its own, but as a variation, consider adding spicy Mexican chorizo for some added kick and flavor. You can even add in other crumbled sausage or ground chicken to make it more of a meal.
- Add Some Salsa. Salsa is also a popular addition. Scoop a few spoonfuls of Salsa Roja or your favorite Salsa Verde as a finisher. You’ll love the added flavor pop.
- Tortilla Chips. If you’d like to skip the steps for frying the tortillas, use crispy tortilla chips instead. They work great for quick and easy migas!
Check out the video below to see the cooking in action.
Different Types of Migas
Migas is common in different cuisines around the world, including Spain and Portugal. There are also Mexican and Tex-Mex migas.
The recipe is basically the same in different parts of the world. They just vary in the use of local ingredients.
In Spain, migas is a breakfast dish that uses leftover bread or tortas. It has converted today into a first course serving and is popular for lunch and dinner.
In Portugal, migas is usually made with leftover wheat or corn bread bread. In some parts, it is made with potatoes.
Mexican migas is a traditional breakfast made with fried tortilla strips and scrambled eggs. It is similar to my recipe.
Tex-Mex migas is similar to Mexican migas, though it includes other ingredients like onion, peppers, tomatoes, cheese and other spices. This is most like my own Migas recipe.
Try Some of My Other Popular Breakfast Recipes
- Jacked-Shuka – Extra Spicy Eggs in Hell
- Chilaquiles Rojos with Ancho Chili Sauce
- Chilaquiles Verdes
- Huevos con Chorizo
- Menemen (Turkish-Style Scrambled Eggs with Peppers)
- Spicy Pepper Lover’s Omelet
- Loaded Mexican Omelette
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS.Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Migas Recipe: Mexican Scrambled Eggs with Crispy Tortillas
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 corn tortillas cut into strips or squares
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 small onion white or yellow, diced
- 4-5 eggs lightly scrambled
- 1 medium tomato diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded pepperjack or Monterrey Jack cheese
- For Serving: spicy chili flakes extra sliced peppers, avocado, hot sauce
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and add the corn tortillas. Fry them lightly in the hot oil until they crisp up, flipping a bit, about 4-5 minutes. Remove them from the pan and set them into paper towels to drain. Sprinkle them with a bit of salt while they are hot.
- Next, add the peppers and onion to the hot pan and cook them down about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, then pour in the scrambled eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir.
- Cook the eggs, stirring here and there, about 2-3 minutes, or until the eggs just begin to set.
- Remove from heat and stir in the reserved crispy tortillas and shredded cheese.
- Top with spicy chili flakes, extra sliced peppers and avocado. And hot sauce if desired!