A zingy margarita recipe made with spicy habanero peppers, juicy blackberries, and white tequila. Time to seriously up your zest factor.
Hey, it’s Patty again with your Thirsty Thirteenth. And yeah, I'm thirsty. I’ve been on a blackberry kick lately. They are so delicious this time of year. Plus, it’s amazing how easy they are to work into drinks. They are so soft that they can be juiced by simply muddling them or blending them in a blender. You want to make sure you have a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth handy to strain out the resulting the seeds and pulp. I wanted to make a spicy margarita this month as margaritas lend themselves so nicely to spicy chili peppers. I decided to make this for a train crawl so I could share it with my fellow crawlers.
Everyone tried it and it was a big hit. The habanero gives it a kick, certainly, but it’s not overpowering and it doesn’t burn your lips like some drinks can. Adding plenty of lime juice, homemade blackberry juice and a bit of sugar allowed the flavors to blend nicely. I rimmed the glass with salt, which is how I like my margaritas. I added in a bit of lime zest to get even more of the lime flavor. Feel free to try it with a sugar rim if that’s what you prefer. Like so...
This recipe is using a simple syrup. It’s super easy to make and you can prepare it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for several days. If you have a party or gathering coming up, this is a crowd pleaser that’s super simple to put together if the syrup is made ahead of time. But, the syrup doesn’t take much time at all either. It is nothing more than a brief boil with water, sugar, lime juice and habanero. Then, toss the mixture into a blender with the blackberries and it’s ready for the fridge. You will need to strain it to get the habanero and blackberry seeds out but if you want the flavors and heat to meld for a while, do this right before you are ready to serve the drinks.
Here's the blackberry-habanero syrup.
Doesn't it look just SO juicy? It is! Time to mix those drinks! Blackberry-habanero syrup, white tequila, triple sec, lime juice. Yum. Garnish them up and serve. SO drinkable, isn't it?
Blackberry Habanero Margarita - Recipe
- For the Syrup (4 servings)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 habanero, diced
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- For one Maragarita
- 1 ½ ounces white tequila
- ½ ounce triple sec
- ¼ ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces blackberry-habanero syrup
- Salt and lime zest to rim the glass
- Lime and blackberries for garnish
- In a small pot, over medium heat, add all syrup ingredients except the blackberries. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Place blackberries and syrup into a small food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to use. It will last up to a week.
- When ready to serve, strain the blackberry-habanero syrup. This will produce about 1 cup or enough for 4 drinks.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the margarita ingredients. Shake well.
- Rim the glass with salt and lime zest and fill with ice.
- Pour the margarita into the glass and garnish with a lime slice and blackberry.