Homemade Flatbread Recipe (No Yeast, No Milk)
This homemade flatbread recipe is made with no yeast and no milk, giving you perfectly crackery crust ideal for making flatbread pizzas. Only 5 ingredients!
I grew frustrated in my search for a good flatbread recipe that did not require yeast and/or milk. I’m not a huge bread maker, so keeping yeast fresh in the house is tough for me.
By the time I get around to making homemade bread, the yeast has gone bad, and I don’t want to have to freeze large portions of the stuff. Besides, yeast doesn’t seem to like me. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve messed up bread. It turns out more like a brick or a flat doughy mess.
Same way with milk. We don’t drink a lot of milk. If I need a dairy, I use crema or a bit of cream cheese. Milk tends to go bad, so again, if you have the sudden urge to make flatbread yet have no yeast or milk, you might find yourself in a pickle.
This homemade flatbread recipe uses no yeast and no milk, and it can be your new go-to. It’s dairy free. It’s definitely different from your own favorite yeasty version, but it’s quite good in its own right, and believe me, it can save you when you REALLY-REALLY NEED to make a homemade pizza.
This flatbread is thick and crackery, yet sturdy enough to handle as many toppings as you can pile onto it.
It’s different from most store bought versions you’ll find, which are more like pita bread. I enjoy those, but I really love a simple, tasty, cracker-like crust with some bite to it. Perfect for flatbread pizza.
Let’s talk about how we make homemade flatbread, shall we?
Ingredients for Flatbread
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Melted Butter
How to Make Flatbread – the Recipe Method
Make the Dough. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, butter, water and seasonings, if using. Mix to form a dough. If the dough is too dry, add a tablespoon of water. Knead about 5 minutes.
Wrap and Rest. Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Form the Flatbreads. Separate dough into 4 portions and flatten with a rolling pin to about 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
Cook the Flatbreads. Heat a large grilling pan to medium heat to high heat and cook each flat bread dough about 2-3 minutes or longer, or until the dough hardens and turns golden brown. You can use a bit of olive oil if needed in the pan, though you can cook them dry. Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes until the dough forms a cracker-like crust.
Boom! Done! Your flatbreads are ready to serve. They look great, don’t they? Nice and crackery, ready to enjoy. What are you going to make with them? Flatbread pizza? Yes!
Such delicious flatbread. Such a great recipe. Start to finish, it takes less than an hour to make them.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- The Flour. All purpose flour is ideal for making homemade flatbread. You can use wheat flour or gluten-free flour.
- Serving Ideas. I usually make flatbread for making easy flatbread pizza, but you can use it to make crackery sandwiches. The flatbread doesn’t fold, but you can crack it in half and pile up the ingredients. Try it with dips as well, or use it to replace your morning toast.
That’s it, my friends. I hope you enjoy my favorite flatbread recipe. Let me know if you make it. I’d love to hear how it turned out for you and what you make with it.
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Homemade Southwest-Style Pizza
- Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Texas Nachos
- Chipotle Chicken Nachos
- Mike’s Late Night Nachos
- How to Make Homemade Corn Tortillas
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Homemade Spicy Snack Mix
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Homemade Flatbread Recipe (No Yeast, No Milk)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- pinch salt or more to taste
- 1/4 cup water + 1-2 tablespoons
- Any herbs or seasonings you desire - such as chili powder dried basil, oregano, garlic, Cajun blends, etc.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, butter, water and seasonings, if using. Mix to form a dough. If the dough is too dry, add a tablespoon of water.
- Knead about 5 minutes.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Separate dough into 4 portions and flatten with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Heat a large grilling pan to medium-high heat to high heat and cook each flat bread dough about 2-3 minutes or longer, or until the dough hardens and browns. You can use a bit of oil if needed in the pan, though you can cook them dry. Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes until the dough forms a cracker-like crust.
NOTE: This post was updated on 1/25/21 to include new information and photos. It was originally published on 8/3/2014.