This quick and easy homemade bbq sauce recipe is huge on flavor and so easy to make with ketchup, apple cider vinegar, lots of seasonings. It's sweet and tangy with a touch of heat.
This super-duper easy homemade bbq sauce is a simple way to elevate your condiments. There are many ways to cook up a good bbq sauce recipe, but this is probably the easiest of them all.
All you need are a few seasonings, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and a few condiments out of the fridge. Stir them to together, heat them up and boom! You have yourself a simple homemade bbq sauce that is the perfect combination of tangy and sweet and spicy, and it's perfect of anything.
It's so much better than anything you'll get at the store, too, because you control everything that goes into it. Who knew you could make such a great bbq sauce with ketchup, mustard and sriracha? You can! And it's so good.
Let's talk about how we make it, shall we? Whips up super fast.
Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce Ingredients
- Ketchup. Can use tomato sauce as well.
- Spicy Mustard.
- Sriracha. Optional, for a touch of heat and zing.
- Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Light Brown Sugar.
- Onion Powder.
- Garlic Powder.
- Salt and Black Pepper.
How to Make Homemade BBQ Sauce - the Recipe Method
- Add all of the ingredients to a pot and heat to medium heat. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool and use it on anything from burgers to hot dogs to bbq chicken to ribs to brats…
BOOM! That's it! Very easy, right? The easiest bbq sauce in the world you can make, and it tastes quite awesome considering its simplicity. Awesome easy bbq sauce!
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Ratios. You can easily vary up the ratios of the condiments - a little less ketchup, a little more sriracha, a different type of mustard - for different flavors, but the end result is surprising. Plus, it really is super-duper easy to make. I had this ready in 10 minutes.
- Variations. You can also incorporate other easily found ingredients from your refrigerator. Other popular additions include Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, liquid smoke, hot sauce, soy sauce, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, smoke paprika, red pepper flakes for some heat, and more.
- The Heat Factor. You'll get a nice touch of heat from the sriracha, though you can skip it if you'd prefer a milder bbq sauce. If you'd like more heat, add in your favorite hot sauce, or incorporate a spicy chili powder like cayenne pepper. I like to add in a bit of ghost pepper powder for myself. Great stuff!
Feel free to vary up the recipe ingredient ratios to your preference. If you like more ketchup, add a bit more in. Less mustard? Use less, or just omit it.
This recipe is so quick and easy to make your own. Feel free to experiment. There's nothing like a good homemade barbecue sauce.
It's grilling season here, and we only get that for about 3 months so I'm constantly wanting to grill as much as possible. I'm very excited because I'm putting this sauce into a squeeze bottle to use all summer long, especially when we're grilling chicken.
In fact, I'm bringing it to a friend's 4th of July BBQ party this weekend.
I thought it should be called a "Bun Sauce" or maybe "Grilled Meat Sauce". Pretty much any grilled meat or anything you can put on a but would be great for this sauce.
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy my easy bbq sauce recipe. Super easy, isn't it? I think it's time to fire up that grill! Get to cooking! Make an extra large batch of the bbq sauce and use it all week long.
Storage & Leftovers
Storing your Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce in an airtight container in the fridge may allow you to store the leftovers for up to 7-10 days (3-6 months in the freezer). To maximize the storage life, make sure to refrigerate the sauce promptly.
Try Some of My Other Popular BBQ Sauce Recipes
- Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce
- Chipotle-Bacon-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Peach-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Spicy Honey BBQ Sauce
- Ancho BBQ Sauce
- South Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce
- Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce
- Mango-Habanero BBQ Sauce
- Korean BBQ Sauce
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Easy BBQ Sauce
- ¾ cup ketchup (or use tomato sauce)
- ¼ cup spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a pot and heat. Stir to incorporate. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Cool and use it on anything from burgers to hot dogs to chicken to ribs to brats…
NOTE: This recipe was updated on 6/11/20 to include new photos, information and video. It was originally published on 7/1/15.