This cornbread recipe makes the perfect holiday side dish or appetizer. Moist cornbread muffins filled with cream cheese and topped with jalapeno pepper slices. Watch them disappear.
Cornbread in the house! Raise your hand if you love cornbread? I certainly do, and when the holiday season rolls around, I tend to start thinking about a good batch of cornbread to serve. Cornbread is always popular and it can be served as either a side dish or an appetizer, or both! Whichever you prefer.
They're also quite essential to serve alongside your favorite chili recipes. We just had a big neighborhood party and I was in charge of the cornbread, so I whipped up this batch and they disappeared. These are slightly different, however, than your typical cornbread recipe. Why? Because these cornbread muffins are...
Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins!
These cornbread muffins are filled with a dollop of cream cheese, then topped with a slice of jalapeno pepper, so every single muffin bite gets a taste of cream cheese and burst of jalapeno flavor.
They're easy enough to make, which is always a bonus for me. In a nutshell, you'll mix together the dry ingredients, then stir in the wet ingredients to form your batter. Spoon the batter into your mini muffin tins, but only fill them 3/4 full.
Next, spoon a small portion of cream cheese over each of the batter filled tins. You really only need about 1/8th of an ounce, though you could easily fit more if you'd like, so be prepared with extra cream cheese, just in case. Push the cream cheese down into the batter and use a spoon to cover it up with batter.
Finally, top each muffin with a jalapeno pepper slice, like so.
Bake those babies up! They're awesome!
I used mini muffin tins in this case, and the recipe makes 48 mini muffins, but you can easily use larger muffin tins if you'd like. Just be sure to adjust your baking times to accommodate.
As I mentioned, these make and outstanding side dish, but I also like to serve them as appetizers. Great stuff!
Let me know how they turn out for you. I hope you enjoy them. -- Mike H.
Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins – Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup corn (frozen is OK)
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 3 jalapeno peppers, sliced thinly (you’ll need about 48 slices)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly oil mini muffin pans.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, garlic, chili powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter, oil and eggs. Stir until you have a slightly lumpy batter.
- Stir in the corn, then spoon the batter mixture into mini muffin tins until each ¾ full.
- Next, scoop a small piece of cream cheese down into the center of each muffin batter. Use a spoon to cover it up.
- Top each with a jalapeno slice.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until set.
Makes about 48 mini muffins.