A recipe for delicious Cubanelle chili peppers stuffed with chorizo, pepperjack cheese, Sriracha and other goodness, then grilled to perfection.
Go and get yourself some Cubanelle chili peppers. Go ahead, I'll wait. If you haven't cooked with Cubanelle peppers, now is the time to start. I've done a number of stuffed Cubanelles - take a look in the Stuffed Chili Peppers category - and they are some of the best to cook with.
They aren't too spicy, which is good for most. I personally LIKE more heat, but that is something you can easily add in. It is much more difficult to subtract the heat. They have a fairly thick wall compared to smaller peppers, so they stand up well to the cooking process, whether you are grilling, broiling, baking.
The Cubanelle has you covered.
This particular recipe came about as an afternoon lunch idea on our patio. We were lounging a bit, enjoying the backyard summer weather, and our eyes turned to the grill just sitting there, practically begging to cook something for us.
We weren't starving, and while I won't call this a lighter fare recipe because of the chorizo and cheese, it is a small enough portion to satisfy your hunger yet not leave you feeling stuffed. I like to use spicy Mexican chorizo, but a milder one will do. When they are done, just pick them right up and chow down! Enjoy!
Note to self - don't leave Patty in charge of the grill! While these were cooking, Mike asked me to keep an eye on them while he ran upstairs for something quick, and when he came back, he noticed they had a slight bit more of a char that the would have preferred. Notice the extra char at the end of one of them. Oops! They still came out great, and Mike approved. But hey, like he said, Cubanelles are pretty hardy.
Check Out Some My Other Popular Stuffed Peppers Recipes
- Picadillo Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers - Mexican Style
- Cajun Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Turkey Stuffed Cubanelle Peppers
- Learn more about Cubanelle peppers here
Got any questions? Ask away! I'm happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Grilled Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Cubanelle Peppers
- 2 large cubanelle chili peppers
- 6 ounces hot Mexican chorizo (use pork or beef)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 2 ounces pepperjack cheese shredded
- Dash of cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped cilantro + more for serving
- Slice the cubanelle peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the innards. Set aside.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and jalapeno and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute, stirring.
- Add chorizo and cook 5-6 minutes, or until chorizo is cooked through. Add the mix to a mixing bowl and cool slightly.
- Add sriracha, cheese, cumin and paprika. Mix well.
- Stuff each pepper with the chorizo-cheese mixture.
- Heat a grill to medium heat and grill the stuffed chili peppers about 12-15 minutes, or until skins have nicely charred.
- Serve with fresh cilantro!