Avocado crema is a super creamy condiment made with avocado, lime juice, garlic, crema or sour cream, and cilantro, perfect for tacos, sandwiches, or a dip!
Avocado Crema Recipe
Are you looking for a super creamy condiment that's insanely delicious, and also super versatile? Here you go - Avocado Crema.
Avocado crema is essentially an avocado cream sauce. It is like the creamiest guacamole you've ever had, a sort of cross between guacamole and a creamy avocado sauce.
It's made with the same base ingredients you'd use to make guacamole - avocados, cilantro, lime juice, salt - but with Mexican crema or sour cream added in for an experience you will absolutely love.
It's great in so many ways, as a dipping sauce for chips or veggies, topping for tacos or sandwiches, even as an avocado dressing for salad.
There are several ways to adjust it to make it your own, which I discuss in the recipe notes section below, but this is how I like to make mine.
I hope you enjoy it!
Let's talk about how to make avocado crema, shall we?
Avocado Crema Ingredients
- Avocados. Use very ripe avocados that are nice and soft, as they will make the best creamy avocado crema.
- Mexican Crema. You can use sour cream or Greek yogurt, but Mexican crema is the best for this recipe.
- Garlic. I prefer fresh, but you can use garlic powder.
- Fresh Cilantro.
- Lime Juice. Lemon juice can be used.
- Salt. To taste.
How to Make Avocado Crema - the Recipe Method
Process the Crema. Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth!
You can also use a mortar and pestle, or just mix vigorously in a large bowl.
Boom! Done! Your avocado lime crema is ready to serve. Easy enough to make, isn't it? Look at how creamy it is! We really love this recipe.
Serving Avocado Crema
This is an extremely versatile recipe that can be used in so many ways. Here are my favorite ways to serve avocado crema:
- Condiment or Sauce. Spoon your avocado crema over tacos, tortillas, burrito bowls, or your favorite Mexican dishes. Smear it onto sandwiches for creamy avocado flavor. Add a dollop to your grilled burgers.
- Dip. Serve it with your favorite tortilla chips or veggie sticks as one of the creamiest avocado dips you'll ever try.
- Salad Dressing. Use it to add a zesty flare to your next salad, or toss it with roasted vegetables.
I made these chicken tinga tostadas last night and they are so good with avocado crema. Yum! I need to make these again very soon.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Use very ripe avocados for the creamiest avocado crema. Unripe avocados won't blend as well, and have a greener flavor.
- Try other seasonings to your flavor preference, like freshly ground cumin, cracked black pepper, or spicy chili flakes.
- Try adding mayonnaise for a fluffier crema, or a bit of milk to thin it out.
- For a dairy free version, skip the crema and use coconut cream or dairy free yogurt.
Avocado crema will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container or covered with plastic wrap. If it starts to brown, swirl in a bit more lime juice to freshen it up.
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy this avocado crema recipe. Let me know if you make it. I'd love to hear how you served yours! Enjoy, my friends!
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Avocado Crema Recipe
- 2 medium avocados peeled and pitted
- ½ cup Mexican crema or use sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic minced (or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1 small lime
- Salt to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust for salt and lime. Enjoy!