Creamy Guasacaca (Venezuelan Avocado Salsa)
This guasacaca recipe is Venezuela’s answer to guacamole, made with ripe avocados, cilantro, peppers, lime juice, oil and vinegar. It’s the perfect creamy dip or salsa. It also works great as a sauce or dressing.
Where are my guacamole fans out there? I have a recipe you need to try. It is made with many of the same ingredients as traditional guacamole – ripe avocados, lime juice, fresh cilantro – along with a few other ingredients that make this recipe a game changer.
The recipe is called Guasacaca, and you’re going to love it. It is straight out of Venezuela, where oil and vinegar and a few other flavors put a spin on Mexican guacamole.
Let’s talk about how we make guasacaca , shall we?
- Avocados. Use 2 ripe average-sized avocados. If you use smaller avocados, use 3 or 4 of them, as desired.
- Peppers. I use 2 jalapeno peppers in mine, but you can use bell peppers for a milder version.
- Other Produce. Use 1 shallot or a small onion, along with 3 cloves garlic. You can easily add more garlic if you’d like.
- Fresh Herbs. 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and 1/4 cup chopped parsley. I like an even 50/50 split.
- Liquids. 1/4 cup vinegar, juice from 1 small lime, and 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil. The oil is added at the end to emulsify the final dipping salsa, which makes it extra creamy and delicious.
- Salt and Pepper. To taste!
How to Make Guasacaca – the Recipe Method
Step 1. Peel and seed the avocados. Give them a rough chop and add them to a food processor or blender along with the peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro parsley, vinegar and lime juice. Process until fairly smooth.
Step 2. Drizzle in the olive oil a bit at a time with the processor running. Process until the avocado salsa becomes thick and creamy. You’ll notice how the final guasacaca fluffs up from the oil, which is emulsified as the processor runs. This is an important step, as it really makes it extra creamy.
Adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
Boom! Done! Guasacaca is ready to serve!
Guasacaca Serving Suggestions
I like to serve mine with warmed tortilla chips, but it’s also great with pita bread or chips, served a bit like a tasty hummus. Try it with raw vegetables for a party. It works as a salsa or dip, but consider tossing it with a bit of pasta as a sauce, or thin it out with a bit more oil and/or vinegar, then toss it with lettuce or spinach for a quick salad.
That’s it, my friends. I hope you enjoy my guasacaca recipe. Super tasty! Give your old guacamole recipe a brand new Venezuelan spin! Your friends and family will love you for it. Let me know if you make it. I’d love to hear how it turned out for you.
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes
- Perfect Guacamole Recipe
- Spicy Guacamole
- Salsa Criolla
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Muhammara Recipe (Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Dip)
- Creamy White Bean Dip with Harissa
- Black Bean Dip
- Mexican Corn Dip
- Queso Fundido
- Zesty Layered Taco Dip
- Spicy Buffalo Chicken Dip
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Guasacaca Recipe (Venezuelan Avocado Salsa)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped (use bell pepper for a milder version)
- 1 shallot or small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- Juice from 1 small lime
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and seed the avocados. Give them a rough chop and add them to a food processor or blender along with the peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro parsley, vinegar and lime juice.
- Process until fairly smooth.
- Drizzle in the olive oil a bit at a time with the processor running. Process until the avocado salsa becomes thick and creamy.
- Adjust with salt and pepper to taste. Serve!