This is my favorite Buffalo chicken dip recipe made with a blend of three cheeses, tender chicken and Buffalo sauce, by far the best buffalo chicken dip I have EVER tasted.
The Best Buffalo Chicken Dip
This is one of the best spicy dips out there, my friends! Buffalo Chicken Dip is the ultimate party food, and you're probably thinking about what you should bring to the next party, right? We are. Always.
If you need ideas, check out our Game Day section, but make sure you include this classic dip recipe - Buffalo Chicken Dip. Buffalo Chicken Dip is one of the most popular dips around.
My version is wonderfully cheesy with three different types of melty cheese, lots of spicy Buffalo sauce, a selection of chilies for some extra spiciness, and perfect seasonings.
Don't forget the chips! Everyone is going to love you for making this. Let the party begin!
Let's talk about how to make Buffalo Chicken Dip my way, shall we?
Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
- Olive Oil. For cooking the peppers.
- Chili Peppers. You can skip the peppers if you'd like, but I love using chopped jalapenos at a minimum. Add in other spicy peppers to your preference, like Fresno chilies or habaneros.
- Chicken. Use boneless chicken breast or chicken thighs.
- Taco Seasoning. Adds loads of extra flavor.
- Other Seasonings. Garlic powder, chili flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Chicken Broth. You can also use beer.
- Cheeses. My blend includes cream cheese, blue cheese, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Blue Cheese Dressing. Adds a nice richness to the dish. See my homemade blue cheese dressing recipe. You can also use Ranch dressing, or sour cream.
- Buffalo Sauce. Use your favorite brand, like Frank's Red Hot, or try my homemade Buffalo Sauce recipe.
- For Serving. Extra chili flakes, fresh chopped parsley, cilantro, or green onion, tortilla chips, carrot sticks, celery sticks.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip - the Recipe Method
First, heat a large oven-proof pan to medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the peppers and cook them down about 5 minutes. I am using a mix of peppers for this recipe, but you can use your favorites.
Use bell peppers for a milder version. The peppers add a lot of wonderful flavor here.
Add the chicken, garlic powder, taco seasonings and chili flakes. Stir and cook to brown the chicken, about 5 minutes.
Pour in the chicken broth or beer and let it steam. Reduce the heat and cover.
Let it simmer 5 minutes, cooking the chicken until it is tender and cooked through. I like the flavor of the beer, but broth is good, too. At this point, you can transfer everything to a baking dish, or just use the pan if it is oven safe.
Stir in the cream cheese, blue cheese dressing, and 1/2 cup Buffalo sauce. Make sure everything is nicely incorporated.
Sprinkle on the shredded cheese and blue cheese crumbles evenly over the top, like so. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake the buffalo dip for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until it is nice and bubbly, 20 minutes tops. Serve with chips or your favorite munchie! Celery sticks are very popular.
Boom! Easy enough, isn't it? I love a nice, easy dip recipe, especially with Buffalo Sauce. Easy recipes make life easy! So tangy and cheesy and delicious.
About the Buffalo Sauce
You can use any store bought Buffalo Sauce brand that you prefer, but I love to make my own Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe, which always works out great. It is buttery and tangy and nails the flavors, so give it a try.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Use rotisserie chicken for a much quicker version of the recipe. No need for cooking. Just add the shredded chicken to the cooked peppers and cheeses.
- Peppers make the recipe so much better. My version includes some gorgeous chili peppers. Most dips are incomplete without jalapeno peppers, in my humble opinion, though I've also included a wonderful red Fresno pepper and a spicy habanero pepper.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip?
I enjoy serving my buffalo dip with crispy corn tortilla chips and also sliced celery sticks, though crunchy toasts are a fun way to enjoy it. Carrot sticks are a nice addition as well.
Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
For a crock pot or slow cooker version of this recipe, simply add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker after you've cooked down the vegetables and chicken. Cook it on HIGH for 1-2 hours, or on LOW for 3-4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes, until it is nice and creamy. See my crockpot Buffalo chicken dip recipe here.
This dip is cheesy and tangy and pretty much everything you want in a dip. You're partying friends will love you for bring this. Bring it to your next super bowl party or any game day gathering! You'll be the hit of the party.
I hope it becomes your new family loved recipe.
Buffalo chicken dip will last 4-5 days in the refrigerator, properly sealed. Because it contains chicken, it really shouldn't be kept for longer than that. Be sure to store it in a proper container with a lid or cover it with plastic wrap. It can be reheated.
Freezing Buffalo Chicken Dip
You can freeze uncooked buffalo chicken dip in a freezer friendly container for up to 3 months. Just be sure it is properly sealed.
To freeze it, prepare the recipe as written, but instead of baking it, transfer the dip to a freezer-safe container and seal it. Store for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to bake the dip, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, then transfer it to a baking dish or oven-safe pan. Then bake it for 10 minutes until the cheeses are melty and bubbly, per the recipe.
I don't recommend freezing the cooked buffalo chicken dip, as you'll lose a lot of the consistency.
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers chopped (use other chilies to your preference, like Fresno or fiery habaneros)
- 10 ounces boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Taco seasoning (you can use a nice Cajun blend, or some of your favorite chili powders)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- ½ cup chicken broth (or use beer)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces Blue Cheese dressing (Ranch is good, too, or sour cream)
- ½ cup Buffalo sauce or more!
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the peppers and cook them down about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, garlic powder, taco seasonings and chili flakes. Stir and brown the chicken on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the beer or chicken broth and let steam. Reduce heat and cover. Let it simmer 5 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Stir in the cream cheese, blue cheese dressing, and Buffalo sauce. Make sure everything is nicely incorporated.
- Sprinkle on the cheddar cheese and blue cheese and bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees, or until it is nice and bubbly. Serve with chips or your favorite munchie!
This recipe was updated on 8/31/22 to include new photos and a video. Originally published on 8/31/2015.