This buffalo chicken pasta recipe is quick and easy tossed with spicy buffalo sauce, two cheeses and a great blend of seasonings. Easy weeknight dinner!
We're making Buffalo Chicken Pasta in the Chili Pepper Madness kitchen tonight, my friends, and I think you're going to love this one.
It's a specialty for all those spicy food lovers out there, made with lots of noodles that are tossed with a combination of creamy cheeses, spicy buffalo sauce and other flavors, along with a nice level of seasonings.
It's done in about 20 minutes (OK, 30 minutes if you're a slow cook like me) - super easy to make - and I hope it becomes one of your go-to quick and easy meals for weeknight cooking.
The Best Buffalo Chicken Pasta Recipe Out There
There are many buffalo chicken pasta recipes out there, but mine is different because we're focusing on the flavor of the Buffalo Sauce as well as the creamy cheeses that make it wonderfully smooth and spicy.
Many recipes I've seen are made in a crock pot or slow cooker, or an instant pot, or even as a buffalo chicken pasta bake, but this is a simpler recipe. All you need to do is cook down some chicken with peppers, onion and garlic, mix it up with cheeses and buffalo sauce and a few other ingredients, then toss it with cooked noodles.
Simple! I love a quick and easy pasta recipe, especially for those days when you just want something on the table fast after a long day. And spicy, too!
Everyone loves a good pasta dish.
About the Buffalo Sauce - Homemade is Best
You can use any of your favorite store bought buffalo wing sauce brands for this recipe. No problem at all. However, if you're into making your own sauces and want to customize it to your own preferences, try making your own buffalo sauce at home. It's super easy and takes very little time. You can make a big batch and keep in the fridge for using later on.
My homemade buffalo sauce recipe uses the following ingredients: Butter, Louisiana Style Hot Sauce + Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire, vinegar and a few seasonings. Give it a try. It's very easy to adjust to your preferred heat level, you crazy chilihead, you!
Cheesy buffalo chicken pasta is the best! Such a quick and easy weeknight meal for spicy food lovers. So!
Let's talk about how we make the recipe, shall we?
Buffalo Chicken Pasta Ingredients
- The Noodles. Use 2 cups pasta noodles. I used cavatappi noodles, but penne is great, or curly rotini. Realistically, any pasta will work for this recipe. Just choose noodles the buffalo sauce will cling to.
- Chicken. My recipe calls for 1 pound of chicken breast, chopped, though chicken thighs are great here. Use a mix. It also works with crumbly ground chicken or turkey, though you'll get a different consistency. For an even quicker version of the recipe, use store bought shredded rotisserie chicken.
- The Seasonings. I am using 1 tablespoon Cajun seasonings for this, but feel free to mix that up. Try it with your favorite taco seasoning blend or your own personal mix. My homemade Cajun blend is one of my go-to recipes for so many dishes.
- Vegetables and Peppers. You'll need onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic. You can incorporate hotter peppers if you'd like a spicier version, or go with milder peppers to tone things down.
- The Cheeses. I'm using cream cheese and crumbled blue cheese. Blue cheese is a MUST for Buffalo Chicken Pasta - the perfect complimentary flavor. Use a milder Gorgonzola instead if you'd like. The cream cheese makes the pasta nice and creamy.
- Buffalo Sauce. I'm using 1 cup Buffalo sauce, though you can use more if you'd like. Again, use your favorite brand, or make your own like I do.
- Extra Flavors. I've added apple cider vinegar for extra tang and Worcestershire sauce for its earthy flavor.
- The Garnish. Spicy chili flakes, fresh chopped parsley or cilantro. Just sprinkle them over the top! Make it look pretty for your family or guests!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pasta - the Recipe Method
The Noodles. Add 4 cups water + 2 teaspoon salt to a pot and bring to a boil. Add pasta and boil for 8-10 minutes, or until the noodles are al dente or cooked to your preference. Check the packaging for more specifics.
Cook the Chicken and Vegetables. While the pasta is boiling, heat the olive oil in a large pan to medium heat. Season the chopped chicken with Cajun seasoning, then add it to the pan along with the onion and peppers. Cook them down 5-6 minutes, stirring, until the chicken cooks through.
Add the garlic and cook another minute, stirring.
Add the Cheeses and Sauce. Add the cream cheese, 3 ounces blue cheese, Buffalo sauce, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until the cheeses melt and everything is incorporated.
Stir in the Pasta. Drain the pasta and stir the cooked pasta noodles into the sauce.
Garnish. Remove from heat and garnish with the remaining blue cheese, spicy chili flakes and fresh chopped herbs.
Boom! That's it, my friends! Simple enough, isn't it? I should have called this "Easy Buffalo Chicken Pasta" or maybe "The Best Buffalo Chicken Pasta". Whatever it's called, it's crazy delicious! Such a great recipe.
I do hope you enjoy it.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Baked Version. If you're looking for more of a Buffalo Chicken Pasta Bake Recipe, follow all of the above steps, then transfer the pasta to an oven-safe dish or casserole dish. Top it with shredded cheese and bake it for 15 minutes, then serve it up.
- Pasta Salad Version. Serve this up as an easy Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad for parties or potlucks by preparing the recipe as-is, then mixing it with either ranch or blue cheese dressing and a few tablespoons of mayonnaise. Serve it up in a bowl for your guests to enjoy as much or as little as they'd like to.
- Cheddar Cheese. If you'd like a cheesier version, top the spicy pasta with some shredded cheddar cheese and cover it to let it melt, or bake the dish per above until the cheese is nice and melty. Delicious.
- Extra Creamy Version. If you'd like even creamier buffalo chicken pasta, double the cream cheese. You can also drizzle or stir in blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing. It's a lot of added calories, but great comfort food.
- Freezing. Pasta noodles don't freeze well, in my opinion, but if you'd like to freeze buffalo chicken pasta, make the full recipe without the noodles and freeze it in sealed containers. When you are ready to make the meal, thaw it out, heat it up, then simply toss it with pasta prepared that day. It makes for an even quicker, easier meal.
Storage & Leftovers
Storing your Buffalo Chicken Pasta in an airtight container in the fridge may allow you to store the leftovers for up to 3-4 days. To maximize the storage life, make sure to refrigerate it promptly.
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes with Buffalo Sauce
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Buffalo Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 2 cups pasta noodles I used cavatappi noodles, but penne is great
- 1 pound chicken breast chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasonings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped (or use any spicy pepper you love!)
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 5 ounces crumbled blue cheese divided
- 1 cup Buffalo sauce or more as desired
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- FOR SERVING: spicy chili flakes fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- Add 4 cups water + 2 teaspoon salt to a pot and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and boil for 8-10 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked to your preference. Check the packaging for more specifics.
- While the pasta is boiling, heat the olive oil in a large pan to medium heat. Season the chopped chicken with Cajun seasoning, then add it to the pan along with the onion and peppers. Cook them down 5-6 minutes, stirring, until the chicken cooks through.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute, stirring.
- Add the cream cheese, 3 ounces blue cheese, Buffalo sauce, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until the cheeses melt and everything is incorporated.
- Drain the pasta and stir the noodles into the sauce.
- Remove from heat and garnish with the remaining blue cheese, spicy chili flakes and fresh chopped herbs.
- Serve it up!
Heat Level: Medium-Hot. Much will depend on the Buffalo Sauce you're using. I make a very spicy homemade sauce, but you can use milder. Most are pretty spicy.
NOTE: This recipe was updated on 1/15/21 to include new information and video. It was originally published on 1/13/20.