Bust out your grills for this easy grilled buffalo shrimp recipe tossed in a homemade spicy and tangy Buffalo sauce. Perfect for summertime grilling and easy party food, dinner or appetizer.
Are you in NEED of a quick and easy dinner recipe? Or perhaps a LAST MINUTE appetizer that you can toss onto the grill super fast?
A recipe that will satisfy just about EVERYONE? Even the pickiest of eaters?
Here it is! Grilled Buffalo Shrimp.
These Buffalo Shrimp are grilled instead of breaded and fried until golden brown like your typical Buffalo Shrimp, making them healthier to serve, but also MUCH FASTER to bring to the table.
That's a HUGE bonus, right? Especially if you're a slow cook like I am. I can't help myself! Who needs a deep fryer? And who needs buffalo wings when we have buffalo shrimp?
Let's talk about how we make them, shall we?
Grilled Buffalo Shrimp Ingredients
FOR THE SHRIMP
- Shrimp. Peeled and deveined.
- Red Chili Flakes.
- Salt and Black Pepper.
FOR THE BUFFALO SAUCE
- Louisiana Style Hot Sauce. Or Habanero Hot Sauce.
- Melted Butter.
- Worcestershire Sauce.
- White Wine Vinegar.
- Crumbly Queso Fresco.
- Sliced Lime Wedges.
How to Make Grilled Buffalo Shrimp - the Recipe Method
First, peel and de-vein a pound of shrimp and dry them. Toss them in a bowl with red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
Heat your grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grates.
Grill the shrimp a few minutes per side, until they are cooked through and nice and pink.
Make the Buffalo Sauce. While the shrimp are grilling, whisk together your preferred hot sauce, melted butter, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar in a small bowl. You can heat it in a saucepan to medium heat if you'd like.
This is your Buffalo Sauce, much like a typical zingy wing sauce.
Add the shrimp and toss in your Buffalo sauce to get them nicely coated. Toss to coat!
Serve them up! Boom! Super easy, right?
I served mine over some spinach leaves and topped them with crumbly white cheese and a few slices of lime.
AND! Some extra spicy chili flakes because, you know, I like to spice things up a little. Try them with a good blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing as a dip.
This recipe is perfect for game day eating or any party situation or gathering. So much better than deep frying. They cook up in practically no time and they're so easy to make. Everybody loves them. Serve them at your next super bowl party or game day event.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- The Buffalo Sauce. I used a Homemade Garlic-Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe for this particular sauce, but realistically, you can use your own favorite habanero hot sauce.
- Louisiana Style Hot Sauce. If you'd prefer to dial back the heat a bit, skip the habanero hot sauce and go with a red hot sauce of your own preference. A good Louisiana style hot sauce would be ideal for this recipe.
- Homemade Buffalo Sauce. Or, try my Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe and see how you like that, too.
- Extra Seasonings. I'm using chili flakes and salt and pepper here, but you can use your favorites. Add in some cayenne pepper, garlic powder and/or onion powder, or use your favorite Cajun seasoning or blackened seasoning blend. Spice it up!
Storage & Leftovers
Storing your Grilled Buffalo Shrimp in an airtight container in the fridge may allow you to store the leftovers for up to 3-4 days. To maximize the storage life, make sure to refrigerate the shrimp promptly.
Try Some of My Other Popular Shrimp Recipes
- Shrimp Creole
- Cajun Shrimp
- Blackened Shrimp
- Spicy Peel-and-Eat Shrimp with Honey-Gochujang Glaze
- Habanero-Honey Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp
- Shrimp with Chipotle-Bourbon Butter
- Shrimp in Fiery Chipotle-Tequila Sauce
- Firecracker Shrimp
- Shrimp Ceviche
Try Some of My Other Popular Spicy Appetizer Recipes
- Mexican Corn Dip
- Crispy Baked Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Habanero Salsa
- Xni-Pec - Chunky Habanero Salsa
- Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings
- Candied Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #ChiliPepperMadness on Instagram so we can take a look. I always love to see all of your spicy inspirations. Thanks! -- Mike H.
Grilled Buffalo Shrimp - Recipe
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined⠀
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes + more for garnish⠀
- Salt and pepper to taste⠀
- Crumbly queso fresco for serving⠀
- 1 lime sliced, for serving
FOR THE SAUCE⠀
- 4 ounces Habanero Hot Sauce Use even more for a saucier version⠀
- 2 ounces melted butter⠀
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce⠀
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar⠀
- Heat your grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grates.⠀
- Toss the shrimp with chili flakes, salt and pepper. ⠀
- Grill the shrimp 2-3 minutes per side, until they are nicely pink and cooked through.⠀
- Make your sauce by whisking together the Habanero Hot Sauce, melted butter, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar.⠀
- Toss the shrimp in the sauce.⠀
- Serve in a bowl and top with crumbly queso fresco along with toothpics for easy grabbing. Top with lime slices.
Note: This recipe was updated on 7/1/20 to include new information. It was originally published on 6/20/18.