A recipe for spicy chicken wings seasoned and baked to the perfect crispiness, then tossed with sweet pepper jam and habanero peppers. Easy to make and perfect for game day. Or any day!
Game day is just around the corner. Wow, it came on quick! Are you all ready for the Super Bowl? As you all know, I'm not hugely into the game, but I ALWAYS look forward to the game day food table. I'm usually the one cooking, and chicken wings are an essential part of that day, at least the way I see it!
Don't you agree? A game day table just isn't a game day table without some chicken wings. But not just any old chicken wings. Let's make something different this year, shall we? I got you covered. We're talking Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings.
As the name implies, they are nice and sticky from the finishing glaze and also quite spicy from the inclusion of fruity habanero peppers, which I absolutely LOVE.
Habaneros all the way! They're pretty hot for most people, but habanero peppers have really gone mainstream in the last decade or so, so most people have had them in some form or another.
Making them is very easy, which, you know, I LOVE easy! Let's discuss!
How to Make Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings - the Recipe Method
First, season your dried chicken wings with your rub mixture. In this case, I used a mix of baking powder (this helps with the crispiness by drawing out moisture), garlic powder, cayenne, mustard powder, basil, celery salt, and salt and pepper. You can easily use your own preferred blend.
Once they're seasoned, bake them for 30 minutes at 250 degrees F., then flip them and bake them another 30 minutes at 425 degrees F. This will get them nice and crispy. If you feel you'd like them crispier, hit them with the broiler a couple minutes. Yeah!
For your glaze, heat up your pepper jam, agave nectar or honey, butter and minced habanero peppers with a dash of salt. You don't want to boil it, just incorporate it until you have a thin glaze.
Toss your cooked wings with the glaze and serve them up. These are SO GOOD! My stomach literally just growled as I was writing this. I guess I didn't make enough wings for myself! Dang! Easy enough to remedy. Guess I'm off to make another batch.
Enjoy, my friends! Let me know how these turn out for you. Send pics! I love that. Take care --Mike H.
Check Out Some of My Other Popular Chicken Wing Recipes
- Buffalo Wings Recipe
- Crispy Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- Jalapeno-Cheddar Chicken Wings
- Grilled Ghost Pepper Chicken Wings
- Baked Ghost Pepper Chicken Wings
- Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings
- One-Pot Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings
- Baked Garlic-Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Wings
- Grilled Jerk Chicken Wings
- Sticky Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Got any questions? Ask away! I'm happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings – Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken wings separated and wing tips removed
For the Seasoning Mixture
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the Glaze
- 1 cup pepper jam I used a pineapple-habanero jam, though any will do – experiment!
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or use honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 habanero peppers minced
- Dash of salt
- For the wings, pat them as dry, which helps with the crispiness. Add them to a large bowl.
- Mix together the seasoning mixture ingredients in a small bowl. Add seasoning mixture to the large bowl and toss the wings to coat.
- Heat oven to 250 degrees. Set the wings onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Flip the wings.
- Increase oven heat to 425 degrees and bake another 30 minutes, or until the wings are cooked through and the skins are nice and crispy. You can also hit them with the broiler a couple minutes to crisp them up even more.
- Make the Glaze. When the wings are nearly done, heat the pepper jam, agave nectar, butter, 2 of the habanero peppers and salt in a small pot, just until it becomes easy to pour.
- Add the wings to a large bowl and pour the habanero-jam mixture over them. Toss to coat.
- Top with extra minces habanero peppers and serve.