These honey-bbq chicken wings are seasoned then baked until nice and crispy, then slathered in honey-barbecue sauce that is sweet, spicy and has just the right amount of tanginess. Here is the recipe. Perfect for parties or any night of the week.
Honey BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe
Good weather is here - YES! - and I'm full into thoughts of barbecue sauce. Warm weather always gets barbecue sauce in my brain. It's an associative thing. Plus! I made an extra large batch of Homemade Spicy Honey BBQ Sauce so I could make several recipes with it, like this BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe that basically ROCKED!
One thing that always comes to mind when it comes to barbecue sauce is chicken wings.
We're talking Crispy Baked Honey BBQ Chicken Wings!
I'm into these. They're nice and crispy from the baking process - more on that below - and just the right amount of spicy-tangy combo from the Homemade Spicy Honey BBQ Sauce that I slathered on just after they came out of the oven.
You can grill these, too, if you'd like. I love my grilled chicken wings, too.
Let’s talk about how to make honey bbq chicken wings, shall we?
How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
There are 3 important factors in achieving crispy chicken wings when baked in the oven. They are:
- Drying the Chicken Wings. Pat them very dry with a paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible. You can also set them in the fridge after this step and leave them overnight to dry out even further.
- Baking Powder and Salt. Baking powder and salt help to draw the extra moisture out of the skin where it can evaporate. Moisture is the key reason why oven baked chicken wings don’t crisp up as desired.
- The baking process. Bake the wings first at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 30 minutes, then turn up the heat and bake another 30 minutes (or until they are cooked through and nice and crispy) at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
If you’re looking for even MORE crispiness, turn on the broiler at the very end of the cooking time for a couple minutes. Just be careful to not burn them.
You can see the crispiness when you take them out of the oven. You can feel the crispy dryness on the skin. It is awesome!
Frequently Asked Questions about Making Chicken Wings?
Here are some answers to some of the most asked questions I get about making chicken wings at home.
Why Use Baking Powder to Make Crispy Chicken Wings?
Baking powder is a mixture of sodium bicarbonate, corn starch and cream of tartar. When it is mixed with salt, it helps to dry out the chicken skin by breaking the skin down, letting the moisture release, allowing the skin to achieve that satisfying crispness and brown color.
How Long Does it Take to Bake Chicken Wings in the Oven?
The baking process is very simple. Bake the wings first at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 30 minutes, then turn up the heat and bake another 30 minutes (or until they are cooked through and nice and crispy) at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Try this with my Hot Honey Recipe.
Check Out Some of My Other Popular Chicken Wing Recipes
- Buffalo Wings
- Crispy Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- Jalapeno-Cheddar Chicken Wings
- Mango-Habanero Chicken Wings
- Grilled Ghost Pepper Chicken Wings
- Baked Ghost Pepper Chicken Wings
- Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings
- One-Pot Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings
- Baked Garlic-Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Wings
- Grilled Jerk Chicken Wings
- OH So Crispy Baked Chicken Wings - Step by Step
- Smoked Chicken Wings
- Hot Honey Wings
Everyone loves chicken wings! Need more? See my Chicken Wings Recipes area on the site. Yeah!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #ChiliPepperMadness on Instagram so we can take a look. I always love to see all of your spicy inspirations. Thanks! -- Mike H.
Crispy Baked Honey BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken wings separated and wing tips removed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup of your favorite Honey-BBQ Sauce
- FOR SERVING: Ranch dressing crumbly white cheese for topping
- For the wings, pat them as dry, which helps with the crispiness. Add them to a large bowl.
- Add seasoning mixture and toss to coat.
- Heat your oven to 250 degrees F. Set the wings onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Flip the wings.
- Increase oven heat to 425 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes, or until the wings are cooked through and the skins are nice and crispy. You can also hit them with the broiler a couple minutes to crisp them up even more.
- Toss the hot wings with the honey-bbq sauce. Top with crumbly white cheese and serve with ranch dressing.