Jalapeno-Cheddar Chicken Wings
These jalapeno-cheddar chicken wings are seasoned then baked until extra crispy, then slathered in a cheesy Buffalo sauce infused with melty sharp cheddar and spicy jalapeno peppers. It is tangy and buttery and zesty in all the right ways. Here is the recipe.
Dang! Totally AWESOME recipe coming your way, my friends. If you love chicken wings, this is a recipe you’re very highly likely going to LOVE.
I know I do.
We’re talking Jalapeno-Cheddar Chicken Wings. Baked chicken wings that are dripping with a homemade sauce that is really a combination of classic Buffalo sauce with cheddar cheese that has been melted through, and you know what? It’s pretty mind blowing.
Yes, these are definitely a new favorite.
There is a certain wing joint called “Wild Wing Cafe” that we like to visit when we’re traveling through the southern U.S., and they offer a version of Jalapeno-Cheddar Chicken Wings on their menu. It’s one of the sauces I order every time because I LOVE the flavor.
This jalapeno-cheddar sauce is similar.
They aren’t overly hot, but that’s OK. I don’t need my taste buds tingling EVERY single time I eat hot wings. Don’t get me wrong, you’ll get some tongue tingling with this recipe, depending on how generous you are with the jalapeno and the chili flakes, but the heat won’t jump out at you.
What we’re doing here is focusing on the flavor of the chicken wings themselves, as well as the combination of that tangy Buffalo sauce and the cheddar cheese.
The recipe is listed below, but you can refer to my Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe that you’ll be using as the base for your sauce. This is varied slightly, but you can use that as well.
I’ve decided to BAKE these chicken wings for this recipe, though you CAN fry them up if you’d prefer. I find myself baking far more often then frying chicken wings because of the oil. It’s just my preference, typically, at home.
Let’s talk about that crispiness, shall we?
How to make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
There are 3 important factors in achieving crispy chicken wings when baked in the oven. They are:
- Drying the Chicken Wings. Pat them very dry with a paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible. You can also set them in the fridge after this step and leave them overnight to dry out even further.
- Baking Powder and Salt. Baking powder and salt help to draw the extra moisture out of the skin where it can evaporate. Moisture is the key reason why oven baked chicken wings don’t crisp up as desired.
- The baking process. Bake the wings first at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 30 minutes, then turn up the heat and bake another 30 minutes (or until they are cooked through and nice and crispy) at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
If you’re looking for even MORE crispiness, turn on the broiler at the very end of the cooking time for a couple minutes. Just be careful to not burn them.
You can see the crispiness when you take them out of the oven. You can feel the crispy dryness on the skin. It is awesome!
Baking Your Chicken Wings in the Oven
The baking process is very simple. Bake the wings first at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 30 minutes, then turn up the heat and bake another 30 minutes (or until they are cooked through and nice and crispy) at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
These are GREAT for a satisfying weeknight meal, or make them for your next party. Game Day Recipes, anyone? This will be a sure hit!
Everyone loves chicken wings! Need more? See my Chicken Wings Recipes area on the site. Yeah!
Let me know how they turn out for you. Take pics! I want to see! Post them on Instagram and tag me at #chilipeppermadness.
ROCK ON! Enjoy. — Mike H.
Check Out Some of My Other Popular Chicken Wing Recipes
- BBQ Chicken Wings
- Crispy Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- Grilled Ghost Pepper Chicken Wings
- Baked Ghost Pepper Chicken Wings
- Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings
- Mango-Habanero Chicken Wings
- One-Pot Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken Wings
- Baked Garlic-Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Wings
- Grilled Jerk Chicken Wings
- OH So Crispy Baked Chicken Wings – Step by
- Sticky Chicken Wings
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Jalapeno-Cheddar Chicken Wings Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken wings separated and wing tips removed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
FOR THE JALAPENO-CHEDDAR SAUCE
- 1/2 stick butter 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup, or 56.7 grams).
- ½ cup Louisiana style hot sauce Franks is very popular though I use Valentina HOT
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers diced
- 1/4 cup pickling juice from the pickled peppers
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese finely grated
- For the wings, pat them as dry, which helps with the crispiness. Add them to a large bowl.
- Add seasoning mixture and toss to coat.
- Heat your oven to 250 degrees F. Set the wings onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Flip the wings.
- Increase oven heat to 425 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes, or until the wings are cooked through and the skins are nice and crispy. You can also hit them with the broiler a couple minutes to crisp them up even more.
- When the wings are nearly done, heat the hot sauce and butter together in a pan until the butter melts through. Stir in the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, seasonings, jalapeno peppers and pickling juice.
- Swirl in the grated cheddar cheese a bit at a time, constantly stirring, until the cheese is incorporated and the sauce is nice and smooth.
- Add the wings to a large bowl and pour the jalapeno-cheddar cheese sauce over them. Toss to coat.
- Top with extra spicy pepper flakes and serve.