This classic homemade Buffalo sauce recipe is easy to make with hot sauce, butter, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and more - it’s so much better than anything you can grab from the store.
The Best Buffalo Sauce Ever
I already know you guys LOVE Buffalo sauce. I mean, you’re hanging around Chili Pepper Madness, so that’s a good indication that you’re a chilihead of SOME degree.
And that’s a good indication that Buffalo sauce is something you’ve been enjoying much of your life.
For some people, Buffalo sauce is one of the gateway foods. One day you’re a regular eater, then you try a good Buffalo sauce, usually on a chicken wing or a chicken tender. Then...
Instant chilihead. I’m telling you, it’s how it goes. It isn’t a ridiculous scenario.
I get Buffalo sauce on my wings all the time when I’m at a restaurant. At home, I like to make it myself. Why? I like mine better.
Why Do They Call it "Buffalo" Sauce?
Buffalo sauce has nothing to do with buffaloes. The sauce was actually named for Buffalo, New York, where the sauce was invented, at the famous Anchor Bar.
Better Than Store Bought
Sure, you can purchase store bought Buffalo sauce, pre-made, but this is fresher and much tastier. I was lucky enough to visit the original Anchor Bar in New York, and this is the real deal sauce, so much like the original Buffalo sauce.
Of course I personally like to REALLY spice mine up with ghost powder, but you really don’t have to. That’s a bit crazy, and I don’t always use it, but sometimes I want REALLY SPICY.
Sometimes I just want it awesome like it is on its own, as you will see below. Ghost pepper flakes = optional.
I’m serious! Only if you like it REALLY spicy.
What is Buffalo Sauce?
Buffalo sauce is basically a mixture of hot sauce with melted butter. You can (and should) add other ingredients, but that is the core combination. The very definition of a Buffalo sauce.
When you combine a simple hot sauce with a bit of melted butter, swirl them together and you have yourself a basic Buffalo sauce.
What’s the difference between Buffalo Sauce and Hot Sauce?
Some people confuse hot sauce with Buffalo sauce. You can use them interchangeably, based on your own flavor preferences. However, they are different because of the butter. Buffalo sauce tends to be thicker and smoother than hot sauce. It's more silky in texture from the butter addition. Richer, too.
Some use oil instead of butter. This is why this homemade Buffalo sauce recipe is so much better.
Whisk in that butter, my friends! And other ingredients, of course. For the flavor.
Most people consider it a buffalo wing sauce only, though you can use it to spice up many different foods. Try buffalo chicken dip. Such a great recipe.
Let's talk about how to make Buffalo sauce at home, shall we?
Buffalo Sauce Ingredients
- Louisiana Style Hot Sauce. Frank's hot sauce is very popular, though I enjoy using Valentina HOT, as it makes a nice thick buffalo sauce.
- Vinegar. Use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar.
- Worcestershire Sauce. For a nice flavor pop.
- Tabasco Sauce. For a tangy finish.
- Paprika. I love Hungarian hot paprika, though smoked is great, too.
- Garlic Powder, Salt and Black Pepper.
- Optional Addition. Pinch of ghost pepper flakes for XTRA HOT! Or try Cayenne pepper for a nice level heat.
Of course you CAN make your own homemade Buffalo sauce with only 2 ingredients, as many recipes like to push - butter and hot sauce, with vinegar and Worcestershire optional additions - and it's good in a pinch, but the extra ingredients here make a big difference in the overall flavor.
How To Make Buffalo Sauce - The Recipe Method
First, melt the butter in a small pot over low to medium heat.
Next, whisk in a good Louisiana style hot sauce along with white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne or ghost chili flakes (if using), Tabasco, paprika, garlic and salt and pepper, until the sauce is nice and smooth.
Finally, cool slightly, then store in an airtight container in the fridge or use it right away.
Boom! Done! Your homemade buffalo sauce is ready to enjoy. How are you going to enjoy yours?
Ways to Use Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- Wings, wings, wings! Check out my classic Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe, or these awesome fried chicken wings.
- Drizzle it over your pizza to make Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Swirl it with a mixture of cream cheese and ranch dressing for a super simple spicy dip
- Mix it into ground meat to flavor anything from meatballs to homemade hamburger patties
- Combine it with some tomato sauce for a spicy Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Add some zing to your soups and stews
- Use it as a marinade for grilled chicken or grilled pork
- Top off your nachos and tacos for extra zing!
- Add some to any stuffed pepper mix before baking for a flavor boost
- Swirl some into your bloody mary for one of the best you've ever had
- As a Dip for Chicken Taquitos or The Ultimate Texas Nachos
- Drizzle over Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers, or Mike’s Late Night Nachos.
Recipe Notes & Tips
The Hot Sauce. For the Louisiana style hot sauce, Frank's redhot sauce is traditionally used, though I personally prefer Valentina Hot Sauce. It’s much cheaper for one, but I enjoy the flavor for certain sauce starters, like this one. It’s just perfect for this.
Or hey, make your own. See my post: Homemade Louisiana Hot Sauce Recipe.
Buffalo Sauce with No Butter. You can make this recipe without butter, but it won't be as thick. Simply whisk all of the ingredients together, then simmer to warm them.
Store your Buffalo sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for a month or longer. Simple reheat it to enjoy again.
You can also freeze Buffalo sauce in vacuum sealed containers, where it will last for 6 months.
What’s your favorite way to use Buffalo Sauce? There are so many! Let me know how it turns out for you! – Mike H.
Check Out Some of My Popular "Buffalo" Recipes
- Boneless Buffalo Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo-Blue Cheese Chicken Sliders
- Creamy Buffalo Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Buffalo Cauliflower
- Buffalo Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
They're also PERFECT on this Crispy Baked Chicken Wings recipe.
Try Some of These Other Sauce Recipes
- Peri Peri Sauce
- Jamaican Jerk Sauce
- Mango Habanero Sauce
- Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- Nashville Hot Sauce
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS.Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe
- 1 stick butter 1/2 cup, or 8 tablespoons
- ½ cup Louisiana style hot sauce Franks is very popular, though I use Valentina HOT
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika I use Hungarian paprika – smoked is great, too
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: Pinch of ghost pepper flakes for XTRA HOT! Or try Cayenne Flakes for nice hot.
- Melt the butter in a small pot over low heat. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk them together until nice and smooth.
- Cool, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Use as needed!
NOTE: This recipe was updated on 1/31/20 to include new information and video. It was originally published on 3/19/18.