Air Fryer Chicken Wings
This Air fryer chicken wings recipe is legit – easy to make and super crispy chicken wings without the oil, much better than fried wings. Let’s make some tonight!
It’s time for super crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings in the Chili Pepper Madness kitchen, my friends. If you’ve never made chicken wings in an air fryer, you may want to start after reading this recipe.
I may seem late to the party here, but I’ve had an air fryer for a long time. You may have been making air fryer wings for years by now, and I’ve seen numerous air fryer chicken wing recipes all over the blogosphere.
I always resisted throwing my own recipe into the ring, as I figured there are just so many recipes out there, but in reality, I get LOTS of questions on just about all of my chicken wing recipes with people asking, “Will this work in an air fryer?”
The answer is a resounding YES.
The truth is, air fryer wings are legit, my friends. Especially when you get the wings as dry as possible. I share my tips and process for doing this in the information below.
Your wings are done in about 30 minutes, and they really do come out very crispy, as if you had just pulled them from the deep fryer. I love this recipe because it is very easy to customize with your own seasonings, and you can toss them in your favorite sauce or just enjoy them on their own.
It may be time to get the air fryer, my friends. You’ll want to keep one after trying these awesome wings.
Let’s talk about how to make air fryer chicken wings, shall we?
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Ingredients
- Chicken Wings. I am using fresh, not frozen chicken wings for this recipe, with the wing tips removed and separated. Cooking chicken wings from frozen in an air fryer is a different recipe and process with different cooking times.
- Baking Powder. To help dry out the chicken wing skins.
- Cajun Seasonings. You can use your own favorite seasoning blends as desired.
- Salt and Black Pepper. To taste.
- Vegetable Oil. To help with the “air frying” process. We’re not deep frying here, but a bit of oil is needed. You can use other oils, like olive oil or peanut oil.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Wings – the Recipe Method
Dry the Chicken Wings. Pat the chicken wings as dry as you can with paper towels.
Season the Chicken Wings. Set the chicken wings into a large bowl and toss them with the baking powder, Cajun seasonings, and salt and pepper, to evenly coat the skin. *See the Recipe Notes for information about crispier chicken wings.
Air Fry at Low Temp. Oil the air fryer basket or trays with vegetable oil and set the seasoned chicken wings into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry at 250 degrees F for 15 minutes. You may need to cook the wings in batches.
Flip and Air Fry at Higher Temp. Flip the chicken wings, then set the air fryer temperature to 400 degrees F. Air fry cook the wings for another 15-20 minutes, or to your desired crispiness. Internal temperature of chicken wings should reach 165 degrees F internally when measured with a meat thermometer.
Serve as Desired. Remove and serve. Toss with your favorite wing sauce!
Boom! Done! Your air fryer chicken wings are ready to serve! Super crispy, aren’t they? I told you this recipe was legit. It really it! No joke, these are some darned crispy chicken wings. I love it.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Dry the Chicken Wings. For the crispiest air fryer chicken wings, drying out the chicken wings skins is essential. Baking powder is a well-known ingredient used to help draw moisture from the skin, so it is best to let the chicken wings set at least a few minutes after seasoning, then pat a bit dry as needed.
- Refrigerate the Seasoned Wings for Better Results. I love to set my seasoned chicken wings into the refrigerator in a bowl for a few hours, or overnight, to let them dry out even further. This results in the most amazing crispy air fryer chicken wings every time.
- Seasonings. I love my favorite Cajun seasoning recipe for chicken wings, but you can use your favorites. Use a nice fajita seasoning, taco seasoning blend, lemon pepper, Chinese 5 spice for an interesting twist, or simple garlic powder, salt and pepper. You name it! Chicken wings love all kinds of seasonings!
- Wing Sauce Options. You can’t go wrong with a homemade Buffalo sauce, my friends! However, the sky is the limit when it comes to wings sauces. Simply toss your wings with your favorite hot sauce, or try my Gochujang Sauce, Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce, White BBQ Sauce, or this awesome Peri Peri Sauce recipe. Enjoy!
- Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing. Which do you prefer? This is the eternal argument! Haha, don’t make me choose! We can’t agree in our kitchen, either. Pick your favorite. Don’t forget the celery sticks for dipping.
That’s it, my friends. I hope you enjoy my air fryer chicken wings recipe. Let me know if you make it. I know they’re going to be nice and crispy! I’d love to hear how you spiced them up!
Try Some of My Other Popular Chicken Wing Recipes
- Traditional Buffalo Wings
- Crispy Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- Jalapeno-Cheddar Chicken Wings
- Grilled Ghost Pepper Chicken Wings
- Sticky Habanero Glazed Chicken Wings
- Grilled Chicken Wings with Alabama White BBQ Sauce
- Baked Garlic-Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Grilled Jerk Chicken Wings
- Smoked Chicken Wings
- See all of my Chicken Wings Recipes
Try Some of These Other Air Fryer Recipes
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken wings wing tips removed and separated - fresh/thawed, not frozen
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasonings - or use your favorite seasoning blend
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Pat the chicken wings as dry as you can with paper towels.
- Set the chicken wings into a large bowl and toss them with the baking powder, Cajun seasonings, and salt and pepper, to evenly coat the skin. *See the Recipe Notes for information about crispier chicken wings.
- Oil the air fryer basket with vegetable oil and set the seasoned chicken wings into the air fryer basket in an even layer. Air fry at 250 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Flip the chicken wings, then set the air fryer temperature to 400 degrees F. Air fry for another 15-20 minutes, or to your desired crispiness. Internal temperature of chicken wings should reach 165 degrees F internally when measured with a meat thermometer.
- Remove and serve. Toss with your favorite wing sauce!