Layered Taco Dip Recipe
This layered taco dip recipe is a quick and easy party appetizer and can be ready in about 15 minutes. Serve it up with tortilla chips and you’re good to go.
Got any holiday parties coming up? How about a game day gathering? Or maybe just some upcoming weekend get togethers? Times like these, it’s good to have a quick and easy go-to recipe in your back pocket. One of those, for me, is a simple yet flavorful (and quite popular, I might add) Taco Dip.
These are ingredients I almost always have on hand, so if we’re pressed for time and need to come up with something fast, layered taco dip is the way to go.
My Favorite Taco Dip Recipe
First of all, just look at it. YUM! This is a vegetarian taco dip version layered with refried beans, a creamy seasoned cream cheese and yogurt spread, picante sauce, cheese and veggies, including my favorite jalapeno peppers. Such an easy taco dip recipe.
If you are so inclined, you can easily serve up a meaty version by layering in cooked chorizo, seasoned ground beef or ground turkey, or even seasoned shredded chicken or pork.
Why not? Make a meal out of it!
As an appetizer, I like to keep it vegetarian and light, as not to intrude on the main course.
Growing up, my mother used to make a version of this for practically every party. A party wasn’t a party without Mom’s taco dip. Cheers to you, Mom! This dip was always the first thing to go.
So! Let’s get our layered taco dip going!
Layered Taco Dip Ingredients
- Cream Cheese. 8 ounces cream cheese, softened. This adds a wonderful flavor.
- Yogurt or Sour Cream. I used 1.5 cups Dannon All Natural Plain Nonfat Yogurt. You can also use sour cream or Mexican crema.
- Taco Seasonings. 2 tablespoons taco seasoning. Try my homemade taco seasoning blend. So good!
- Refried Beans. Use 16 ounces refried beans, a single can.
- Cheese. 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salsa. Use 1 cup picante sauce or your favorite salsa
- Lettuce. ½ cup shredded lettuce
- Produce. Use 1 diced jalapeno pepper, 2 cups chopped tomato and 1/2 cup diced green onion
- Chips! Corn tortilla chips for serving
How to Make this Zesty Layered Taco Dip – the Recipe Method
Whip and Season the Cream Cheese Mixture. First, make your creamy spread by adding softened cream cheese, yogurt or sour cream and taco seasoning to a mixing bowl. Use a mixer to whip it all together, like so.
Layer the Dip. Get yourself a nice serving platter that is large enough for your ingredients and get spreading. Start with the refried beans, then your seasoned cream cheese layer, then shredded cheese, then picante sauce or salsa, then all those wonderful veggies, including shredded lettuce, chopped jalapenos and tomato, and green onion.
Here’s a step-by-step graphic to help you.
Serve. Including chopping and mixing time, how long did that take you? 15 minutes maybe? Next time I’ll see if I can cut that time down to 10 minutes, but hey, I’m not in a rush.
Everyone who knows me KNOWS I’m one of the slowest cooks around. Patty will clock me if she hears me say “just 10 more minutes” again. No need to rush good food, but in this case, no need to draw it out. It is super great as it is.
And that’s it, my friends! Grab up some chips and dig on in!
Recipe Notes & Tips
- Taco Dip Variations. Feel free to include your own preferred toppings for extras, such as diced avocado, black olives, diced onions, your favorite hot sauce or taco sauce, pretty much whatever you’re in the mood for.
- Serving Ideas. This taco dip was made for crispy corn tortilla chips. However, you can also serve it with crunchy vegetables, like carrot sticks or celery stalks, or spread it over warmed tortillas for a tasty vegetarian taco. Make a dinner out of it!
Easiest and best layered taco dip ever! I love this stuff. So much better than any store bought taco dip.
Check Out Some of My Other Popular Spicy Dip Recipes
- Mexican Corn Dip
- Southwest Style Cheese Dip
- Easy Cheesy Chipotle Bean Dip
- One-Pan Hatch Chili Cheese Dip
- Queso Fundido
- Spicy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Guasacaca – Creamy Venezuelan Avocado Dip
I like how customizable this recipe is. You can easily adapt it to your party guests by excluding or including other ingredients, or layering it differently. We have a friend who doesn’t like spicy food (GASP!), so we layer the jalapenos only on one side for her. It works for any party!
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Layered Taco Dip Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1.5 cups Dannon All Natural Plain Nonfat Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup picante sauce or your favorite salsa
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup diced green onion
- Corn tortilla chips for serving
- Add cream cheese to a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Add yogurt and taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Spread refried beans over a large serving plate.
- Next, spread yogurt-cream cheese mixture.
- Layer next with cheddar cheese, picante salsa, shredded lettuce and finish with jalapeno pepper and tomato.
- Serve with tortilla chips!
NOTE: This recipe was updated on 6/22/20 to include new information. It was originally published on 12/1/16.