This chicken enchilada casserole recipe is cheesy, saucy, and easy to make with just the right amount of chipotle and spices.
I made Chicken Tinga the other day and talk about delicious. Chicken Tinga is basically shredded chipotle chicken, and it is incredibly versatile.
You can serve it on corn or flour tortillas as tacos, on larger tortillas with fixins as a chipotle burrito, on buns as your favorite torta, even over crispy corn tortillas for enchilada stacks.
Or more! So many ways to serve your chipotle chicken tinga!
Particularly, this way. We're talking Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Casserole, and as a spicy food lover, I'm sure you'll love it.
As far as this chicken enchilada casserole goes, it's nice and cheesy with 2 cups of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese melted over the top, though you can accommodate more if you'd like EXTRA cheese.
Nothing wrong with that!
It's also nice and saucy with a combination of tomato sauce and chipotles in adobo sauce. Talk about great flavor.
It's a nice dinner option for my spicy food loving friends, though it isn't overly spicy or hot, just perfectly balanced with flavor.
It's also great for serving up for your game day party. Game Day Food!
Let's talk about how we make chipotle chicken enchilada casserole, shall we?
How to Make Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Casserole - the Recipe Method
Cook the Peppers, Onion and Garlic. First, cook down some onions and jalapeno peppers in a large pan with a bit of oil, about 5 minutes, until they are softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute or so, until you can smell the gorgeous garlic bloom.
Chicken Thighs. Season your chicken thighs with salt and pepper, then add them to the pan. Give them a nice sear on each side, a couple minute each.
Get Your Sauce Ready. Process the tomato cause and chipotles in adobo sauce in a food processor.
Pour the mixture into the pan, covering the chicken.
Seasonings. Stir in the seasonings.
Simmer the Pot. Bring to a quick boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and easily pulls apart.
Shred the Chicken. Remove the chicken and shred it with a couple of forks. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer in the sauce another 5 minutes.
Get Ready for Baking. Next, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Layer It Up. Spoon some of the sauce from the chipotle chicken into a 10-inch baking dish or pan.
Lay half of the tortillas into to the dish, then spread half of the chipotle chicken over them.
Top with half of the shredded cheese.
Repeat with the remaining tortillas, chipotle chicken and cheese. Make it nice and cheesy, my friends!
Bake the Casserole. Bake the layered enchilada dish for 20 minutes, until the cheese is nice and melty.
Ready to Enjoy. Remove, garnish and serve!
It looks so AWESOME, doesn't it? Because it is! I love this dish. Crazy tasty.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Variations and Other Ingredients. You can very easily add in other ingredients and keep the spirit of the Mexican chicken enchilada casserole. Some other ingredients would be black beans, pinto beans, refried beans, roasted corn, even chorizo. Feel free to include extra jalapeno peppers, or spicier peppers, like the serrano or a habanero pepper or two.
- Toppings. Top it up with avocado or like me, with chopped or diced tomatoes, sliced jalapeno peppers, crumbly white cheese and chopped green onion.
- Garnish. Don't forget the spicy chili flakes! Or your favorite hot sauce! You can't go wrong with a bit of extra spice!
That's it, my friends! I hope you enjoy my Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Casserole recipe! It's a new favorite!
Be sure to check out my Chicken Tinga Recipe.
Try Some of My Other Popular Similar Recipes
- Spicy Pork-Hatch Chile Casserole
- Creamy Cajun Chicken and Corn Casserole
- Corned Beef Tater Tot Hot Dish (Casserole)
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole Verde
- Chicken Enchiladas Rojas
- Beef Enchiladas
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- King Ranch Casserole
Grab yourself a slice!
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS.Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
FOR THE CHIPOTLE CHICKEN
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1.5 pounds boneless chicken thighs chicken breast is good, too
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 16 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 7 ounce can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE CASSEROLE
- 10 street corn tortillas or use 6 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- FOR GARNISH: Fresh chopped cilantro chopped green onion, queso fresco, spicy chili flakes, hot sauce
FOR THE CHIPOTLE CHICKEN (CHICKEN TINGA)
- Heat the oil in a large pan to medium heat and add the onions and jalapeno peppers. Cook them down about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, then add them to the pan. Give them a nice sear on each side, a couple minute each.
- Process the tomato cause and chipotles in adobo sauce in a food processor, then pour the mixture into the pan, covering the chicken.
- Stir in the seasonings.
- Bring to a quick boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and easily pulls apart.
- Remove the chicken and shred it with a couple of forks.
- Return the chicken to the pan and simmer in the sauce another 5 minutes.
FOR THE ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spoon some of the sauce from the chipotle chicken into a 10-inch baking dish or pan.
- Lay half of the tortillas into to the dish, then spread half of the chipotle chicken over them.
- Top with half of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas, chipotle chicken and cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove, garnish and serve!