This 5-ingredient gochujang sauce recipe is easy to make, done in minutes, perfect for quick and easy stir fries, rice bowls, noodles and so much more.
Looking for a simple, quick and easy sauce that is spicy and goes with just about anything? Look no further than this Gochujang Sauce Recipe, my friends. This sauce has it all.
It uses only 5 ingredients, though you can adjust it with others if you prefer. The focus is on gochujang, which is a Korean chili paste that is huge on flavor.
It is perfect for noodle or Korean rice dishes, but you definitely do not need to limit its use to Korean food. At it’s core it is more of a Korean sauce, though I enjoy it in making spicy ramen, as a dipping sauce for shrimp or chicken, spooning small amounts over sandwiches for a bit of zing, and so much more.
It’s a super versatile sauce ready for your own creative input.
Let’s talk about how we make gochujang sauce, shall we?
Gochujang Sauce Ingredients
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Rice Vinegar
- Sugar. Use white or brown sugar. You can also use honey or other sweet of your preference, like maple syrup.
How to Make Gochujang Sauce – the Recipe Method
Whisk. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.
Taste and Adjust. I often add in a bit more gochujang for a thicker, spicier sauce. You can thin it out a bit more with extra vinegar or sesame oil, which I absolutely love.
Time to Eat! Use as desired.
Boom! Done! Your gochujang sauce is ready to use. Quick and easy, isn’t it? I love easy. And spicy! How are you going to use yours?
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Gochujang. Gochujang is a sweet and spicy Korean fermented red chili paste made from chili powder, glutinous rice, fermented soybean powder, barley malt powder, and salt. It is thick and pungent in flavor, adding a zingy depth to your dishes. You will find different levels of heat with gochujang, ranging from mild to hot, which I prefer. You can sometimes find it in grocery stores in the International aisle or perhaps a Korean market, but you can also buy a good brand online. See my page on What is Gochujang, and Why You Need it.
- Taste and Adjust to Taste. I always encourage cooks to adjust these recipes, particularly sauces, to their own taste. Do you prefer spicier? Add in more hot gochujang, sriracha sauce or some spicy pepper flakes. Prefer less sesame oil? Cut back next time. Desire citrus? Add in some lime juice. Consider this a good base recipe.
- Serving Suggestions. Consider this recipe for your next bibimbap sauce or Korean BBQ. It is ideal for any stir fry – beef stir fry, shrimp stir fry, pork stir fry. Try is as a dipping sauce for shrimp or seafood. I love to whip together a stir fry of chicken or pork with lots of veggies, chili flake, green onion, and whatever else I have in the fridge for a quick and easy meal anytime. With lots of spices!
That’s it, my friends. I hope you enjoy this easy gochujang sauce recipe. Let me know if you make it. I’d love to hear how it turned out for you. Keep it spicy!
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes
- Korean BBQ Sauce
- Stir Fry Sauce
- Szechuan Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- XO Sauce
- Tonkatsu Sauce
- Sambal Oelek
- Bulgogi Sauce
- Beef Bulgogi
- Ssamjang (Spicy Korean Soybean Paste)
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Gochujang Sauce Recipe
- 1/4 cup gochujang Korean chili paste
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Taste and adjust. I often add in a bit more gochujang for a thicker, spicier sauce.
- Use as desired.