This Mexican torta recipe is loaded with juicy and tender cochinita pibil from the Yucatan, spiced with achiote, the ultimate Mexican pulled pork sandwich.
Who's in the mood for a Mexican Torta tonight? I sure am. We often order up tortas at our favorite local Mexican restaurant.
A Mexican torta, or torta Mexicana, is a Mexican sandwich. It's really a generic term and can be loaded up with different types of meat or combination of meats and other toppings.
A common combination for a typical Mexican torta is the bread, the fillings, and the toppings, much like any sandwich.
You'll find variations with different meats, like spicy chorizo, grilled or roasted chicken, pulled pork, ground beef, seafood, or others. You will also find vegetarian versions.
Toppings vary as well, as you can load them up with any and all of your favorite Mexican ingredients, like guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, and more.
This particular recipe is one of Patty's favorites - Mexican Tortas de Cochinita Pibil - or Mexican pulled pork sandwiches.
Cochinita Pibil is a pulled pork recipe from the Yucatan, where the pork is seasoned with achiote, bitter orange, and other seasonings, then slow roasted until pull-apart tender.
Make yourself a big batch of my Cochinita Pibil Recipe so you can assemble these sandwiches. Pork shoulder is ideal, but it's great with pork leg as well.
Let's talk about how to make Mexican torta pulled pork sandwiches, shall we?
Mexican Tortas de Cochinita Pibil (Pulled Pork Sandwiches) Ingredients
- Bolillo Rolls. Or use crusty white bread rolls.
- Cochinita Pibil. Go make a batch, then come back and make these Mexican tortas.
- Refried Beans. Use canned, or try this easy refried beans recipe.
- FOR SERVING
- Pickled Red Onions.
- Pickled Jalapeños.
- Hot Sauce. I love habanero hot sauce for this.
How to Make Mexican Tortas de Cochinita Pibil (Pulled Pork Sandwiches) - the Recipe Method
Prep the Sandwich Rolls. Slice the bolillo rolls in half lengthwise. Remove some of the excess bread, if desired.
Toast the Rolls (Optional). This is an optional step, but I love to spread a bit of butter or oil on the top and bottom halves of the rolls, then lightly toast them (butter side down) in a hot pan.
You'll get a nice crunch factor this way.
Refried Beans. Spread warmed refried beans over the bottom half of the rolls.
The Cochinita Pibil (Mexican Pulled Pork). Load with warmed cochinita pibil (Mexican pulled pork). I warm the pork in a pot to medium heat until ready to serve.
Load Up Your Mexican Torta. Top with pickled red onions (and pickled jalapenos). Serve with hot sauce and any more of your favorite toppings!
Boom! Done! Your Mexican tortas are ready to serve. Mexican pulled pork sandwiches, my friends. So good! Patty LOVES these, definitely a favorite.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- The Rolls. You can find bolillo rolls in your local Mexican grocery store, or use other soft rolls, like telera rolls, French bread or Cuban bread.
- Lightly toast the rolls if you'd like, or spread a bit of butter or oil on the bottom and top half of the rolls, then brown them in a hot pan. Adds a bit of crunch factor!
- Feel free to add your own favorite toppings, such as Mexican crema, sliced avocado, guacamole, salsa roja, shredded lettuce, tomato, sliced onions, or others. The sky is the limit!
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy this Mexican torta recipe with cochinita pibil. Let me know if you make it. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you, and if you decided to load it up with toppings!
If you love Mexican cooking, I love these cookbooks with recipes from all over Mexico. Definitely recommended.
- Authentic Mexican, by Rick Bayless (affiliate link, my friends!)
- Mexico: The Cookbook (affiliate link, my friends!)
Try These Toppings for Your Mexican Torta
Try Some of My Other Popular Sandwich Recipes
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Mexican Torta de Cochinita Pibil (Pulled Pork Sandwich)
- 10 bolillo rolls or use crusty white bread rolls
- 20 ounces cochinita pibil Mexican Pulled Pork with Achiote (See my recipe for Cochinita Pibil)
- 2 cups refried beans warmed
- Pickled red onions a must!
- Pickled jalapenos
- Favorite habanero hot sauce
- Slice the bolillo rolls in half lengthwise. Remove some of the excess bread, if desired.
- Spread warmed refried beans over the bottom half of the rolls.
- Load with warmed cochinita pibil (Mexican pulled pork).
- Top with pickled red onions (and pickled jalapenos). Serve with hot sauce!
John Walker says
Mike, thank you for your recipes. They’re great and I love the fact you give nutritional info! Signing up was one of the wisest choices I’ve made in a while!
Mike H. says
I am glad to hear that, John - enjoy!
Versatile CP has big flavor. Used Meat for Tamales. Excellent recipe! Thank you!
Cant wait to make this soon for me can i use mushrooms and vegetarian refried beans i never had pulled pork sandwich before perfect for my after office meals love your recipes as always brightens up my day after work
Mike H. says