This Adobo seasoning recipe is an essential, all-purpose blend in Caribbean and Latin American cuisine with garlic, oregano, pepper and other optional ingredients. It's ideal for seasoning or marinating any types of meats and vegetables.
We're making another batch of homemade spice mix today, my friends. "Spice is Life", as the old saying goes, and that's a philosophy we firmly believe in. Without spices, many foods would be boring and bland.
My pantry is filled with different seasoning blends, as well as the individual ingredients to make them. I love having a variety on hand for different recipes and flavors. One particular that is becoming a new favorite is Adobo Seasoning.
If you enjoy garlicky flavors and simple but effective seasonings, this is recipe you'll want to keep on hand.
What is Adobo Seasoning?
Adobo Seasoning is a staple seasoning blend in Latin American, Caribbean and Spanish cuisine. While the exact recipe varies from region to region, the primary ingredients include garlic powder, ground peppercorns and oregano, often with a bit of onion powder. It is used as an all-purpose seasoning blend, as a rub for meats and as a base for marinades.
In some countries or regions, like Puerto Rico, it is as common as salt and pepper.
The name itself derives from the Spanish word "adobar", which means "to marinate". This comes from classic Spanish cooking, where variations of adobo seasoning are mixed with vinegar or other liquids to create a flavorful marinade for meats - chicken, beef, pork, or fish - or even for vegetables.
You'll find it in various regional cuisines, from Mexican cooking, Cuban, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rican and many more.
You can use it as a simple seasoning blend, a dry rub, as a sauce base or for making marinades. However you'd like to use it, I think you'll agree that is a great flavor builder.
Let's talk about how we make adobo seasoning, shall we?
Adobo Seasoning Ingredients
- Garlic Powder. 3 tablespoons
- Onion Powder. 1 tablespoon
- Dried Oregano. 1 teaspoon
- Salt. 1 teaspoon
- Ground White Pepper. 1/2 teaspoon (or use ground black pepper)
- OPTIONAL EXTRAS
- Paprika. 1 teaspoon
- Cooks Choice. See the Recipe Notes for other commonly used ingredients.
How to Make Adobo Seasoning - the Recipe Method
Mix the Ingredients. Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Be sure to blend uniformly.
Use or Store. Transfer the adobo seasoning to a spice container and use as needed. Store in a cool, dark place.
Boom! Done! Homemade adobo seasoning is pretty easy to make, isn't it? I love this spice blend. Great flavor, and you can adapt it however you'd prefer. Time to get cooking!
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Adobo Seasoning Variations. As this is a general Latin American spice blend, you will find variations based on location and personal preference of the cook. Other ingredients can include cumin, chili powder, paprika, red pepper, turmeric, bitter orange, dried citrus, saffron, msg and others. As you can see, it is quite versatile.
Uses for Adobo Seasoning
- All-Purpose Seasoning Blend. Keep adobo seasoning in a small spice jar and sprinkle it over your everyday foods. Use it as a replacement for your typical all-purpose seasoned salt.
- Dry Rub. Use adobo seasoning to rub down any cuts of meat, from beef and pork to chicken, fish and more, before cooking. Try it with vegetables, too.
- Marinade Base. Mix adobo seasoning with liquid and fresh chopped ingredients to make a flavorful marinade. For liquids, consider vinegar or wine, olive juice, sour orange juice, lime juice, or broth. Add in fresh chopped herbs, onions and chili peppers. Different regions of the worlds use different combinations.
Buy Adobo Seasoning
- Goya Adobo Seasoning (affiliate link, my friends!) is a popular brand, particularly in Puerto Rican cuisine.
- Buy Other Brands of Adobo Seasoning at Amazon (affiliate link, my friends!). There are many store bought brands available.
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy your new adobo seasoning recipe. How did you change it up? Which herbs and spices did you choose for yours? Got any secret ingredients? I'd love to hear!
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes
- Sazon Seasoning
- Tajin Seasoning
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Garam Masala
- Ras el Hanout
- Togarashi: Popular Japanese Spice Blend
- Homemade Spice Blend Recipes
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Homemade Adobo Seasoning Recipe
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper or use ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika optional - this is my own preferred addition
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Be sure to blend uniformly.
- Transfer the adobo seasoning to a spice container and use as needed. Store in a cool, dark place.
NOTE: This recipe was updated on 4/23/21 to include new information and video. It was originally published on 10/12/20.