A recipe for juicy turkey burgers handmade with savory jerk seasonings, perfectly seared, then topped with fiery jalapeno-mango guacamole. It's burger time!
We're busting out some turkey burgers today. It's been awhile since I made turkey burgers, and that's a shame because I truly love them. As much as I love a good beef burger - um, see the Smashburgers with Charred Serrano-Blue Cheese Butter Recipe, OMG - I find myself drawn more to turkey burgers for a few reasons.
First, turkey burgers are lower calorie. If you're watching your wasteline, which some of us need to do from time to time, you can save a lot of calories by switching out beef for turkey.
Second, turkey burgers absorb all those wonderful seasonings you've decided to work with. Beef burgers need little to no seasoning, as the fat content and flavor are a natural component of the beef, but ground turkey doesn't have big flavor on its own, so whatever seasonings you include will be reflected back to your tastebuds in such a wonderful way.
Third, turkey burgers simply ROCK! Yeah! I love them.
Looks pretty darned tasty, right? Yeah it does.
Today we're working with Jamaican Jerk seasonings. You can find a good blend at your local grocery store, or have your hand at making your own. Here is a recipe for Homemade Jamaican Jerk Seasonings that I prefer. Jerk seasoning is quite distinctive, with plenty of chili powder, nutmeg, allspice, clove, and about a dozen other components. Once you try it, you'll agree it's pretty unique, and tasty as heck.
We're also including some diced jalapeno pepper for a bit of heat and flavor, diced mango for sweetness and moisture, as well as other goodies to make this turkey burger truly stand out.
AND! To top off these crazy amazing burgers, we're making a sweet and spicy Jalapeno-Mango Guacamole that you may want to serve on its own for your next party. Or just for yourself. However you want to do it.
That's some good stuff right there.
If you think you're not into turkey burgers, try this recipe and I'm pretty sure you'll be a convert.
I got these jalapeno peppers straight from our garden, which is so great this time of year, with the garden just beginning to produce a number of peppers for us. No, the mango did not come from the garden. I must move to warmer climes, I suppose.
Patty's Mom was kind enough to give us a bag full of bib lettuce from HER garden, which is also exploding with veggies. The bib lettuce is a nice addition, laid gently at the bottom of the burger, giving just a tad bit of crunch.
Let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy your turkey burgers!
Patty's Perspective: Mike can make these for me anytime. I want them for lunch again today! YUM.
Jerk Turkey Burgers with Jalapeno-Mango Guacamole – Recipe
- FOR THE GUACAMOLE
- 1 avocado
- Juice from 1/2 small lime
- 3 tablespoons loosely packed cilantro
- ¼ cup diced mango, or more to taste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- Salt to taste
- FOR THE TURKEY BURGERS
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3-4 tablespoons jerk seasoning, or more to taste
- 1 medium jalapeno, diced
- ¼ cup diced mango
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Olive oil as needed
- FOR SERVING
- 4 buns
- Bib lettuce leaves
- Make the Guacamole first.
- Peel and pit the avocado and add it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mash with a fork until fairly smooth.
- Adjust for salt and refrigerate until ready to use.
- FOR THE BURGERS, add all of the ingredients to a large bowl. Hand mix, but do not overmix or the burgers can become mealy.
- Form the burgers into 4 quarter pound patties.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the burger patties. Sear a couple minutes on each side, then cover and cook until they are cooked through completely, about 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns with bib lettuce, then top with a heaping pile of guacamole.
Makes 4 burgers.