Guacamole Turkey Burgers
These juicy turkey burgers are loaded with creamy guacamole, roasted jalapeno peppers and hot sauce. They’re homemade, super easy to make, and big on flavor. Toss them on the grill.
I’ve been dying for a good turkey burger this week so I made some more homemade turkey burger patties and COME ON! Why can’t restaurants make them like this?
I just don’t get it. I’ve talked many times about how much I LOVE a good beef burger. I have a lot of them in my Homemade Burgers Recipes section of the site, but I also LOVE a good turkey burger.
Turkey burgers are lower in calories than beef burgers, and because the flavor is milder, I’m free to spice them up as much as I want without negatively affecting flavor.
Flavor is key, my friends! My food MUST TASTE GOOD! And DANG, do these taste good.
The thing is, sometimes when I go out for dinner, I’d like to order a turkey burger, but I have yet to find a restaurant that gives them the justice they deserve. Therefore, I will just have to make them at home the way I like them.
How to Make an Awesome Juicy Turkey Burger
They key to making a good and juicy turkey burger is to add in enough moisture as well as other big flavor ingredients. I used garlic and a spicy chili powder, but also a bit of soft bread and touch of milk for the added moisture.
I’ve used mustard in other recipes to add in some moisture and flavor as well. Give that a try. Mayo works nicely, too.
You don’t want to have TOO MUCH bread in the overall recipe, or the burgers can fall apart on you. Just don’t overdo it.
Hand mix your burgers, and I can’t emphasize this enough – do not overmix it. If you over handle the meat, your resulting turkey burgers will wind up more mealy, and we don’t want that.
When forming the patties, the meat mixture will be pretty sticky, but should still hold the burger shape.
Give your burgers a sear on each side on a hot pan or grill, then cook them all the way through and go to town with your toppings.
About the Toppings
This burger is huge on the toppings. I LOVE great toppings. I roasted up some jalapeno peppers and sliced them into rings to flavor up this bad boy.
Roasting jalapenos is pretty easy. I set them over an open flame on the stove top and char the skins a few minutes per side, until the skins blacken up. Flip them with tongs. They look like this.
Peel off the skins and you’re left with these wonderfully flavorful roasted jalapeno peppers.
I also topped my turkey burgers with some hot sauce. I used my Roasted Red Jalapeno Hot Sauce because I just made it, but use your favorite!
Go spice things up, my friends!
I hope you like them! Bust out those grills! Flavor it up!
Try Some of My Other Popular Turkey Burger Recipes
Try Some of My Other Popular Burger Recipes
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Guacamole Turkey Burgers - Recipe
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon spicy chili powder I used habanero powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 slice soft wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 roasted jalapeno peppers sliced into rings (how to roast jalapeno peppers)
- 1 medium avocado peeled and pitted
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- Salt to taste
- Slices of cheddar cheese (or use pepperjack)
- Toasted buns for serving we used onion rolls
- Hot sauce to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add turkey, chili powder, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Tear the bread into small pieces and add to bowl.
- Add milk and hand mix until lumpy. Do not overmix.
- Form 2 6 ounce patties and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan to medium heat and grill the burgers about 5 minutes per side, until the meat is cooked all the way through.
- While burger is cooking, combine avocado, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Mix well and taste for salt. Add more salt as desired.
- When burgers are done, top with cheddar cheese and cover until cheese melts.
- Add burgers to toasted buns. Top with guacamole and roasted jalapeno pepper slices.
This recipe was updated on 8/17/18 to include new photos. The original recipe was posted on 5/14/2014.