Put a twist on your classic burger! This homemade Mexican burgers recipe is going to be your new favorite, with loads of seasoning, topped with guacamole and roasted jalapeno peppers.
Don't you ever just crave a good beef burger?
We eat a lot of turkey burgers around here and we love them, but every now and then we just get a hankering for a good old beef burger.
You can't match the flavor.
We have a few restaurants nearby with excellent burgers, one in particular with seats along the lake. What a view!
Perfect for relaxing with a burger and a beer.
While we also both love a traditional burger in all its glory, we also like to mix things up by adding new flavors and, of course, bringing in our love for chili peppers.
Hence! The Mexican Burger.
This burger recipe is a Mexican spin on an American classic, sort of an American-Mexican mashup.
I used a homemade taco seasoning for this one, but any taco seasoning mix you get from the store will do. Just use your favorite.
Purists will tell you that you don't need anything but salt and pepper to flavor a good ground beef, and hey, I won't argue there, but you'll see a flavor difference with the roasted jalapeno peppers, garlic, onion, and seasonings, all mixed together with the egg and the tortilla chips to help bind it all together.
Be sure to serve them up with a beer.
I accidentally made them a bit too large, and after dinner our bellies were busting, but we couldn't help ourselves. We couldn't stop eating! Healthy cooking for the rest of the week. I promise.
Let's talk about how we make them, shall we?
How to Make Homemade Mexican Burgers - the Recipe Method
Mixing Bowl. First, in a large bowl, combine ground beef, taco seasoning, crushed tortillas, egg and chopped roasted jalapeno pepper.
Onions and Garlic. Heat the olive oil in a pan to medium heat. Add onion and cook about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring, until fragrant. Remove from heat and add onion and garlic to the mixing bowl.
Make the Burger Patties. Hand mix everything in the mixing bowl but do not over-mix or it will become mushy. Form into two large patties.
Cook the Burgers. Cook the burgers in the hot pan about 5 minutes per side, or until cooked to your desired doneness. The time will depends on the thickness of your burgers.
Cheeseburgers. Top with cheese and cover a minute, until cheese melts.
The Toppings. Top with guacamole, if desired, and sliced roasted jalapeno peppers. I used my Easy Perfect Homemade Guacamole recipe for this. Perfect!
Serve them up, my friends! I love these!
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Topping Ideas. I love mine with guacamole and roasted jalapenos, but try them topped with homemade pico de gallo. Absolutely delicious! Grilled onions are great, too.
I rarely eat a beef burger, but if we're going to, I make sure we make it from scratch so we can get the seasonings and flavors we are looking for that day. These Mexican Burgers really came together and I love them. What a great combo with the roasted peppers and guacamole. Nothing better than a good burger.
Try Some of My Other Popular Burger Recipes
- Jerk Turkey Burgers with Jalapeno-Mango Guacamole
- Easy Sheet Pan Sliders
- Smashburgers with Charred Serrano-Blue Cheese Butter
- Grilled Steakhouse BBQ Burgers
- TNT Pork Burgers with Ghost Pepper-Mustard Aioli
- Blue Cheese-Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- Guacamole Turkey Burgers
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS.Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Mexican Burgers - Recipe
- 12 ounces ground beef - 16 ounces if you're really hungry! 80% or 85% lean is best for this
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning try this homemade taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 roasted jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large slices cheddar cheese
- 1 roasted jalapeno pepper sliced into rings - for serving
- Extra creamy homemade guacamole for serving if desired (Try this basic yet perfect guacamole recipe)
- To a mixing bowl, add ground beef, taco seasoning, crushed tortillas, egg and chopped roasted jalapeno pepper.
- Heat a pan to medium heat. Add olive oil and heat.
- Add onion and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring, until fragrant.
- Remove from heat and add onion and garlic to the mixing bowl.
- Hand mix everything in the mixing bowl but do not over-mix or it will become mushy. Form into two large patties.
- Cook the burgers in the heated pan about 5 minutes per side, or until cooked to your desired doneness. The time will depends on the thickness of your burgers.
- Top with cheese and cover a minute, until cheese melts.
- Top with guacamole, if desired, and sliced roasted jalapeno peppers.