A recipe for perfect, decadent handmade burgers made with 80/20 ground beef, seared just right then topped with outrageous blue cheese-butter spiked with charred serrano peppers. So. Freaking. Awesome.
I am going to be overly dramatic about this recipe. Fair warning. I am all about this burger right now.
I can still taste the fat from the meat, just the right proportion, still taste the butter melting into the soft blue cheese and down around the burger, the spiciness and smokiness of the serrano peppers, the extra pop of flavor from the seared jalapeno pepper slices, the gooey-melty pepperjack cheese.
It's a decadent combination for sure,but every once in a while, you just gotta go crazy. This is one of those times.
BOOM! Smashburgers, baby, with Charred Serrano-Blue Cheese Butter. Perfection.
I'm still happily celebrating the new release of the movie I co-wrote, "12 Feet Deep", so I'm allowing myself an extra tasty, spicy, decadent meal. I'm all about enjoying life right now and giving my taste buds some extra BOOM factor. This burger delivers on all counts.
There are 2 main components to this recipe, as the title indicates, and each is very simple to make. When they come together, though, two simple items transcend themselves, become something greater.
Let's talk about them individually, shall we?
First we have the SMASHBURGER element.
What exactly is a Smashburger?
Essentially, you form the portion of meat into a ball then smash it down with a spatula onto a hot grill or griddle in order to sear it in oil. This results in a crispy exterior to the meat.
But not just any meat! It is imperative that you get the best quality beef you can find, even if you have to grind it yourself, and that you use 80/20 beef.
80/20 beef has just the right amount of fat content that will make your burger juicy and highly flavored.
SO highly flavored that you only need salt and pepper to season it.
Second, the Charred Serrano-Blue Cheese Butter.
The name of it almost says it all. You'll char some spicy serrano peppers in a pan with oil, or over a grill, until the skins become somewhat blackened. You can peel the skins off if you'd like, but I leave them on for the extra smoky charred flavor.
Chop them up and mix them with softened butter, crumbly blue cheese and chopped cilantro. That's it.
BOOM! Only 4 ingredients to achieve such a gorgeously flavored burger topping.
What happens is the soft butter and cheese combination begins to melt down a bit around the hot burger patty, filling in all those nooks and crannies, and when you take a bite, the butter-cheese mixture mingles with the fat from the beef and...dude, seriously!
Do I have to keep writing this? My stomach just growled at me, begging for another burger.
I added a few extras, like a bit of bib lettuce on the bottom for some crunch factor, and one of my go-to ingredients - seared jalapeno peppers. Do I even need to say why? Mike's #JalapenoObsession.
What can I tell ya?
This recipe is DEFINITELY going on the Mike's Favorite Recipes List.
You can make 4 quarter pound burgers with a pound of beef, or be crazy like me and make a couple of double deckers. Yes! This! Burger time!
Give them a try! Let me know what you think. I hope you like them!
Also, if you're interested in checking out the movie I wrote, "12 Feet Deep", check out these links, and maybe check out my other movies as well.
Here are links to view "12 Feet Deep".
Try Some of My Other Popular Burger Recipes
- Grilled Steakhouse BBQ Burgers
- Turkey-Chorizo Burgers with Creamy Guacamole
- Jerk Turkey Burgers with Jalapeno-Mango Guacamole
- Smashburgers with Charred Serrano-Blue Cheese Butter
- TNT Pork Burgers with Ghost Pepper-Mustard Aoili
- Blue Cheese Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- Mexican Burgers
- Check Out All of My Burger Recipe
- Juicy Lucy - Gooey Stuffed Cheeseburgers
Smashburgers with Charred Serrano-Blue Cheese Butter - Recipe
FOR THE CHARRED SERRANO-BLUE CHEESE BUTTER
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 serrano peppers
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 5 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
FOR THE SMASHBURGERS
- 1 pound 80-20 ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spinach or lettuce if desired
- Sliced red onion
- Buns for serving
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the serrano peppers. Blister them in the pan, tossing often to get all sides, until the skins are nicely charred, about 10 minutes or so. You can also do this on the grill. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Give them a rough chop and add them to a mixing bowl.
- Add butter, blue cheese and cilantro and stir to incorporate. So good! Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat the same pan to medium heat.
- Divide the beef into 4 pieces and ball them up. Set one at a time into the pan and smash it down with a spatula. You can also do this on a grill with proper grates. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook a couple minutes, until the bottom begins to crisp up.
- Flip and press with the spatula. Season with more salt and pepper and cook a couple more minutes, until each side is crispy and cooked to about medium, or to your preference.
- Serve the burgers onto buns with a bit of spinach, red onion and top with a big portion of charred serrano-blue cheese butter.