Roasted Red Pepper Sauce is savory, sweet, and impossible to resist. This quick and easy to make sauce features roasted red bell pepper, tomato, honey, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and a medley of seasonings. It's an all-purpose sauce that can go on practically anything!
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Recipe
It's safe to say that I'm head over heels in love with this sauce. Essentially, it's an amalgamation of other sauce I've made in the past, a result of some experimentation and testing as I sought to learn what balance of both sweet and savory I might prefer in a roasted red pepper sauce. This is the result.
This pepper sauce works in the sweetness in the form of both honey and brown sugar. The resulting flavors are somewhat sweet, but not TOO sweet, and the sauce as a whole definitely leans more toward savory. Try to make sure you use a good quality honey that deepens the flavor instead of just making it sugary.
You'll achieve a good balance of flavor with the addition of apple cider vinegar, which adds just the right amount of tanginess. Of course, you know here at Chili Pepper Madness we're not afraid of bold seasonings! In this case, cayenne, Mexican oregano, and a bit of cumin create the very best flavor.
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Ingredients
- Roasted red bell pepper
- Roma tomato
- Apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Blend it up! Add the chopped roasted red bell pepper, tomato, garlic, honey, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, oregano, and cumin to a food processor and process until smooth. Adjust for salt and pepper to your personal taste.
Simmer it. Transfer the sauce to a small pot and heat. Simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Enjoy! Let the sauce cool, then serve and enjoy every last bite!
Recipe Tips & Notes
- You can make it creamy. If you'd like to make a creamy version of this sauce, add 1/2 to 1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream during the last 5 minutes of simmering. You can also swirl in cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, or sour cream or Mexican crema to make a creamy version.
- Adjust the heat. Add more or less cayenne pepper as you see fit. We've found that 1 teaspoon is enough to add a kick of heat and balance the sweeter ingredients, but you can omit or double that as you see fit.
How do I roast the bell pepper?
You can use a jar of roasted red peppers for this recipe or roast your own peppers! You can do so several different ways - in the oven, in the broiler, on the grill or even over an open flame if you're feeling adventurous.
I typically roast my red peppers over an open flame on the stove top. Basically, get the flame going, then set the pepper directly onto the grate over the flame. Be sure to use tongs!
Let the flame lick the pepper skin, which will eventually char up and blacken. Using tongs, flip the pepper around to get all of the skin.
Once the pepper is charred up, cool it slightly, then transfer it to a paper bag or plastic baggie to steam. This will loosen the skin. Once the skins are loosened enough, peel them away with your fingers, then proceed with the recipe.
Yes, the obvious question - what exactly can I serve roasted red pepper sauce with? Truly, this is an all-purpose sauce recipe that can be served with many a dish. You can always keep things simple serve this as a dipping sauce with some crusty bread and treat it like an appetizer!
You can even use this stuff as a pasta sauce. However, one of my absolute favorite ways to serve this sauce is over savory waffles for brunch. I LOVE savory waffles, and brunch often calls for just a touch of sweet.
Roasted red bell pepper sauce will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2-3 days.
Try Some of My Other Popular Sauce Recipes
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Homemade Chili-Garlic Sauce
- Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce
- Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
- Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- Homemade Sriracha Hot Sauce
- Roasted Red Hatch Chile Sauce
- Zacusca: Romanian Roasted Eggplant & Red Pepper Sauce
- Mojo Picon - Canarian Red Pepper Sauce
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Recipe
- 1 roasted red bell pepper chopped
- 1 Roma tomato chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a small pot and heat. Simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Cool and serve.