Celebrate St. Patrick's Day deliciously when you make corned beef tacos with creamy cabbage slaw! This fun fusion recipe features shredded corned beef served on warmed flour tortillas, topped with a creamy cabbage-jalapeno slaw and homemade thousand island dressing.
Corned Beef Tacos with Creamy Cabbage Slaw Recipe
Oh yes, we're going there. CORNED BEEF TACOS! I'm part Irish, so I'm allowed to experiment with my traditional corned beef, but you know... aren't we ALL a touch of Irish this time of year? I'm giving you permission to skip your typical corned beef with potatoes this year and try something completely new and fun.
These fusion tacos are super delicious and they put a tasty new spin on tradition. What we have here is slow cooked corned beef served on warmed flour tortillas with a creamy slaw made from shredded cabbage, onions and jalapeno peppers, then drizzled with a homemade thousand island dressing.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Slaw Ingredients
For the shredded corned beef:
- Corned Beef (with the spice pack included)
- Mustard Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Granulated Garlic
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Flour Tortillas
- Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
For the creamy slaw:
- Shredded Purple Cabbage
- White Onion
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Spicy Brown Mustard
How to Make Shredded Corned Beef
Cook the corned beef at 350°F for about 2-3 hours or so, or until it's fork tender and shreds easily.
For this recipe, cook the corned beef your traditional way, according to the instructions on the packaging. I kept it simple and added it to a Dutch oven with an inch of water and the provided seasoning packet, along with a few other seasonings for extra flavor.
I'd like to complain about something, though...
Why, oh why, is it so difficult to find corned beef the rest of the year? The stuff is AWESOME!
I would absolutely cook corned beef all year long if I could find it. Alas, we're stuck waiting around for St. Patrick's Day, so I will enjoy it while it is here. I actually bought 2 of them and am keeping one in the freezer for later.
How to Make Creamy Cabbage Slaw
The slaw is easy to make and you can whip it together while your corned beef is baking.
To make it, simply shred a cup worth of purple cabbage and combine it in a bowl with a small diced onion and a diced jalapeño pepper. Toss it together with mayo, mustard and apple cider vinegar.
Easy! And tasty!
And please, do not forget the Homemade Thousand Island Dressing Recipe.
Of course you can save time and grab some from the store, so feel free to use your own preferred brand, but I have to say that the homemade version is crazy good and better than anything you will get from the store.
Homemade is always best!
Recipe Notes & Tips
- Use homemade dressing. Don't forget the Homemade Thousand Island Dressing Recipe. Of course you can save time and grab some from the store, so feel free to use your own preferred brand, but I have to say that the homemade version is crazy good and better than anything you will get from the store.
- Use leftover corned beef. You can also make this recipe with leftover corned beef! So, if you find yourself with a bit too much corned beef the day after your big celebration, use them to make corned beef tacos. You'll love them! I often make a double batch just so I can make this recipe.
- Omit the jalapeños if needed. It hurts my spice loving heart to say this, but you can omit the jalapeños if you need this recipe to be approved by picky palates at your dinner table!
I hope you enjoy the meal. Let me know if you make this and how it turned out! Have a great St. Patty's Day!
Celebrate the luck of the Irish!
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Corned Beef Tacos Recipe with Creamy Cabbage Slaw
- 2 pound corned beef with spice pack included
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Warmed flour tortillas for serving
- Sliced jalapeno peppers for serving
- Homemade Thousand Island Dressing Recipe for serving
FOR THE SLAW
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- Add the corned beef to a large pot or Dutch oven along with the spice packet contents, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, garlic and seasonings.
- Add about an inch of water and cover. Bake for 2 hours at 350 degrees, or until the corned beef is nice and tender. Uncover and increase the temperature to 400 degrees and bake another 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot and cool slightly. Shred the corned beef with a fork and set aside.
- For the slaw, add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix well until nice and creamy.
- Serve the corned beef on your warmed flour tortillas, then top with the creamy cabbage slaw and drizzle with homemade thousand island dressing. Enjoy!