Pressure Cooker Corned Beef Recipe
This pressure cooker corned beef recipe is all you need for the juiciest, most tender corned beef brisket in a fraction of the time it takes for oven or slow cooking. Don’t forget to cut against the grain. Serve it up with cabbage or your favorite side dish.
It’s corned beef time of year, my friends, but you know what? It’s a dang shame because I think corned beef should be all year long. Not just on March 17, St. Patrick’s Day. In fact, it IS corned beef time in the Madness household all year long because I usually buy extra when they’re on sale this time of year and freeze them for later use.
I love corned beef that much!
PLUS! I can usually find some either at the butcher or my local grocer throughout the year, and when I see them, I’ll grab one. It’s so delicious! Definitely a favorite for both Patty and me.
I’ve cooked corned beef many different ways, from slow cooker corned beef to oven cooking to stewing on the stove, but one way that you may want to consider is using the pressure cooker.
Pressure Cooker Corned Beef is a GREAT way to achieve super tender corned beef every time. It’s SO easy, and it’s the fastest you’ll ever cook a corned beef, hands down.
We’re talking 90 minutes of cooking time, plus 10 to 15 minutes tops for the pressure release. That’s it. It usually takes hours and hours for the tough cut of meat to tenderize. I love my pressure cooker. It seriously ROCKS.
And YES, this also applies to making Instant Pot Corned Beef on the pressure cooker setting. I’m using an electric pressure cooker, though this will work with any brand. Be sure to follow your equipment operating instructions.
Let’s talk about how to make pressure cooker corned beef, shall we?
Pressure Cooker Corned Beef Ingredients
- Corned Beef Brisket – usually about 3 pounds
- Bell Pepper + Other Spicy Chili Peppers, as desired
- Sweet Onion
- Seasonings – Use your own preferred seasonings, or use the seasoning packet that came with the corned beef brisket
- Chicken Broth or Beef Broth – you can use other liquids, like beer
How to Make Pressure Cooker Corned Beef – The Recipe Method
First, slice open the package and rinse the corned beef to remove any gel from the beef. It can get pretty gummed up. You’re also rinsing away any excess salt. Corned beef is quite salty from the corning process.
Next, set the rinsed corned beef on a rack in your pressure cooker. Top it with chopped peppers, onion, garlic cloves and your preferred seasoning.
Add a bit of salt and ground pepper if you’d like. You can use the pickling spice packet that comes with it. I usually just toss out the seasoning packet and use my own seasonings. Today I’m using a Cajun seasoning blend, but use your favorites.
Next, pour the broth over the top. Chicken broth or beef broth is great here, as is veggie broth. You can also use stout beer for additional flavor. Toss in a couple bay leaves if you’d like.
Pressure cook the corned beef brisket on high for 90 minutes. Natural release the pressure for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the lid. You can get away with 60 minutes for a smaller brisket, but 90 minutes results in perfectly tender corned beef.
Remove the corned beef then slice as needed! Pretty much fork tender, my friends.
That’s it! Simple as that. It will be beautifully tender and seasoned and just begging for you to serve it up with a side of cabbage as you like, or Brussels sprouts or perhaps over mashed potatoes with a nice Guinness gravy.
Or go have some corned beef and cabbage! So good with carrots or red potatoes, too, or other root vegetables. Rutabaga, anyone? And a nice mustard rub or horseradish sauce. YUM. Such an easy recipe, isn’t it? I like to cook the vegetables separately rather than pressure cook them with the corned beef. Easier to control the outcome.
Save some to make a reuben sandwich later on. Grab a fork, my friends!
If you’d like to use your pressure cooker or Instant Pot to also cook your cabbage for a wonderful corned beef and cabbage meal, follow these instructions.
Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
If you’d prefer to cook your cabbage in the pressure cooker as well, don’t just toss the cabbage into the pressure cooker with the corned beef and cook it. It will get too mushy. Here is an easy way to make pressure cooker corned beef and cabbage.
Remove Corned Beef from Pressure Cooker. Once you’ve followed the instructions above for making the pressure cooker corned beef, remove the corned beef brisket from the pot and cover it with aluminum foil. Let it rest.
Strain Vegetables. Strain out the vegetables and set them into a bowl and cover. Reserve the cooking liquid in the pot.
Add Cabbage to Pressure Cooker. Next, add in cabbage chopped into wedges, along with potatoes and carrots if you’d like those as well.
Pressure Cook the Cabbage. Close the lid and lock it. Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes. Quick release the pressure and serve them up along with your corned beef.
Simple as that!
Yeah. Check out this recipe: Slow Cooked Corned Beef with Spicy Guinness Gravy and Caramelized Cabbage. Oh baby.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Freeze your Leftovers. If you have leftover corned beef, you can easily freeze it in freezer friendly bags. I like to vacuum seal mine to keep them longer. We enjoy it for quick lunches. Patty really LOVES corned beef.
- Time Saver. It takes a good 90 minutes to cook corned beef in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot. To save time, slice larger briskets into 3 or 4 smaller pieces, then pressure cook them for 60 minutes instead of 90. That’s a lot of time saved! Release Naturally.
Also, check out these other corned beef recipes, in case you have leftovers like I always do.
Corned Beef Recipes
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef – How To
- Corned Beef Tacos with Creamy Cabbage Slaw
- Corned Beef Hash – Madness Style
- Corned Beef Stuffed Peppers
- Irish Nachos with Homemade Beer Cheese
I hope you enjoy the recipe! Let me know how it turns out for you! Send pics! YOU ROCK! – Mike H.
Try Some of My Other Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot) Recipes
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Pressure Cooker Corned Beef Recipe
- 3 pound corned beef brisket
- 1 large bell pepper rough chopped
- 1-2 spicy chili peppers to your heat preference
- 1 large sweet onion peeled and rough chopped
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 2-3 tablespoons favorite Cajun seasoning blend
- 4 cups beef or chicken broth
- Rinse the corned beef to remove any gel from the packet. If there is a seasoning packet, you can use it, but I like to use a good Cajun or Creole blend instead.
- Set the corned beef on a rack in the pressure cooker, then add peppers, onion, garlic and seasoning. Pour the broth over the top.
- Pressure cook on high for 90 minutes. Natural release the pressure for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the lid.
- Slice and serve
NOTE: This recipe was updated on 3/17/21 to include new information. It was originally published on 3/9/18.