Bacon Wrapped Beer Brats with Spicy Habanero Sauce
Fire up the grill for this recipe with juicy beer brats wrapped in bacon, grilled to perfection, smothered in an easy-to-make spicy sauce made with tomato and fiery habanero peppers. Let’s get cooking!
Summertime! YES! Summer to me means brats cooking on the grill. For today’s recipe, we’re talking awesome brats wrapped in bacon then topped with a nice and spicy habanero sauce that seriously ROCKS!
And then! Let’s talk about making our Bacon Wrapped Brats! It’s super easy.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Beer Brats – the Recipe Method
First thing we need to do is gather up our ingredients, which include brats, thick-cut bacon, onion, jalapeno peppers, and ingredients for our easy habanero sauce.
Plus! We’re making BEER brats, so you’ll need some light beer to get this going.
Fire up your grill to medium heat then set the Johnsonville brats into a baking dish with peppers and onions. Make sure to choose a dish that will be OK on the grill. Set the brats over the peppers and onions.
Next, pour the beer over the brats. You want to cover or mostly cover the brats in beer, so you may need more than one, or use a smaller container.
If you’d prefer to NOT cook with beer, use chicken or vegetable broth. The results will be similar, though not quite the same.
Next, shut the grill lid. Let the brats simmer in there for about 20 minutes, flipping them once about 10 minutes in. They will turn a whitish color.
Remove the brats and let them cool enough to handle. Then, wrap the brats in thick-cut bacon. Like so.
Use toothpicks to secure the bacon and grill them for about 15-20 minutes more, flipping them here and there, until the bacon is nice and crispy.
Making the Spicy Habanero Sauce
For the sauce, add tomato sauce, habanero peppers, Fresno pepper, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, chili oil, garlic powder and salt and pepper to a food processor. Process it until smooth.
Heat the sauce in a small pan about 10 minutes to warm and cook through.
BOOM! Super easy, right?
Serve up those bacon-wrapped brats on buns and pour your spicy habanero sauce over them and you’re good to go. Grilling time awesomeness!
I think these would be great with some chopped pepperoncini peppers, too.
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Bacon Wrapped Beer Brats with Spicy Habanero Sauce Recipe
- 10 Brats
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped
- 24 ounces light beer – a flavorful summer lager is great here
- 10 strips thick cut bacon
- 10 buns for serving
FOR THE SPICY SAUCE
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 habanero peppers chopped
- 1 Fresno pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicy chili oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set a pot onto your grill’s side burner and add the sausages. Pour the beer to cover them. Add the onions and jalapeno peppers. Bring to a quick boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes until they are mostly cooked through.
- Cool them enough to handle, then wrap each bratwurst in thick cut bacon.
- Heat the grill to medium heat. Lightly oil the grates. Sear the sausages about 15-20 minutes flipping occasionally to avoid burning, until they are cooked through and the bacon is nicely crispy. The internal temperature should be 150 degrees F.
- For the sauce, add the tomato sauce, habanero peppers, Fresno pepper, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, chili oil, garlic powder and salt and pepper to a food processor. Process it until smooth.
- Heat the sauce in a small pan about 10 minutes to warm and cook through.
- Serve the bacon wrapped brats onto buns and smother with the sauce. Enjoy!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville. The opinions and text are all mine.