These grilled jalapeno poppers are stuffed with a mix of cheeses, crumbled bacon and seasonings, so easy to make, the perfect snack or appetizer! I love them.
Today we are making Grilled Jalapeno Poppers, my friends. Would you care for one?
Grilled jalapeno poppers are the perfect appetizer or party food ever conceived, essential for your next backyard barbecue. They're the ideal bite! Spicy jalapenos are stuffed with a mixture of melty cheeses combined with crumbled bacon and wonderful spices.
Or, you can wrap them in bacon, or both! I love to make them both ways.
One bite and you're hooked for life. What's not to love about a cheesy jalapeno with bacon? I can't get enough of these.
I've been making jalapeno poppers for years. I make them so many different ways - oven baked, broiled, smoked - but jalapeno poppers on the grill are definitely a favorite.
So easy, so perfect - this is a recipe you'll want to keep on hand.
Let's talk about how to make grilled jalapeño poppers, shall we?
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers Ingredients
- Jalapeno Peppers. Yes, you will need jalapeno peppers to make jalapeno poppers. Of course you can use other peppers, but jalapenos are classic and perfect.
- Bacon. I use regular sliced bacon, thin cut. You can use thick cut bacon for "more bacon!" The bacon is used as part of the stuffing, or for wrapping around the poppers, or both!
- Cheeses. I'm using cream cheese and cheddar cheese, but you can use other cheeses. Melty cheeses work best.
- Seasonings. I'm using chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and a bit of salt and pepper. Feel free to use your own favorite blend.
- For Serving. Extra crumbled bacon, fresh chopped cilantro, spicy chili flakes.
How to Make Grilled Jalapeno Poppers - the Recipe Method
Slice and Core the Jalapeno Peppers. Slice the jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and core out the innards - seeds and membranes - with a small spoon or jalapeno corer. Wear gloves if needed when handling hot peppers.
NOTE: If you notice a burning sensation on your skin from the pepper oils, see my post on How to Stop the Chili Pepper Burn.
Cook the Bacon. Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat until the fat renders and the bacon is crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels and let them cool. Crumble them into a mixing bowl, but reserve some for topping. You can easily include more bacon slices for this recipe if you're looking for lots of bacon flavor. 6 slices is plenty, though.
Mix the Cheese Filling. Add the softened cream cheese, cheddar cheese and spices to the mixing bowl. Mix until well combined. It should be nice and creamy.
Fill the Poppers. Fill each jalapeno slice with the spiced cream cheese mixture. I just spoon it into the jalapeno half to a smooth edge. The amount needed will vary based on the size of your jalapeno peppers. If you have extra left over, fill more jalapenos! Or, save it for another use.
For Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers. Wrap the stuffed jalapenos with a slice of bacon, like so.
Grill the Jalapeno Poppers. Heat a grill to medium heat and grill the jalapeno poppers for 10-15 minutes directly on the grill grates, or until the poppers are done to your liking. They will char and blacken a bit on the bottom on direct heat. Be careful not to let them burn.
Grill the bacon wrapped poppers a bit longer, 15-20 minutes, or until the bacon cooks through.
Garnish and Serve. Remove from heat and cool them just a bit. Garnish with extra crumbled bacon, red pepper flakes and fresh chopped cilantro, and serve them up.
Boom! Done! Your grilled jalapeno poppers are ready to serve. Are you serving them up at a party? Or are you keeping them all to yourself? Let's hear it! I hope you'll share. Time to eat!
Recipe Tips & Notes
- The Spices and Seasonings. You can easily use your own favorite seasoning blends to make jalapeno poppers. I often use my homemade Cajun seasoning blend, or this homemade Creole seasoning blend, but a simple mix of chili powders, garlic and cumin with a touch of salt and pepper is great. Use spicier chili powders to really heat things up.
- Extra Spicy Jalapeno Poppers. For making poppers that are nice and spicy, save the cored out innards from the jalapenos, chop them up, then add some or all of it into your cheese filling mixture. Most of the heat resides in those whitish innards, so will bring the heat back to your poppers.
- The Cheeses. I often use a mix of cream cheese and some other shredded cheese, particularly cheddar cheese, though you can use others. Goat cheese is a great cheese for poppers, as it is creamy and softens up perfectly. Try Monterrey jack cheese, pepper jack, gouda or others. Use ghost pepper cheese for some real heat. I've made poppers with brie, blue cheese, gorgonzola and so many others. Again, melty cheese is best for poppers, but you can use a mixture.
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers. If you prefer your grilled jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon rather than stuffed with crumbled bacon, go for it! Instead of cooking down the bacon, wrap your halved jalapeno poppers each with a slice of bacon, then grill just until the bacon is crisp on the outside, usually 15 minutes to 20 minutes. So easy! Definitely a favorite.
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy my grilled jalapenos recipe. The only grilled poppers recipe you'll ever need! I'd love to hear how it turned out for you. Keep it spicy!
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Four Cheese Jalapeno Poppers
- Candied Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers with Shredded Chicken and Cheese
- Baked Cream Cheese Jalapeno Poppers
- Smoked Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
- Pimento Cheese Jalapeno Poppers
- Armadillo Eggs
- See all of my Jalapeno Poppers Recipes
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
- 10 jalapeno peppers
- 6 slices thin-sliced bacon (use 20 slices bacon for bacon-wrapped poppers - see recipe notes)
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- FOR SERVING: fresh chopped cilantro spicy chili flakes
- Slice the jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and core out the innards.
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat until the fat renders and the bacon becomes nice and crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels and let them cool. Crumble them into a mixing bowl, but reserve some for topping.
- Add the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and spices to the mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Fill each jalapeno slice with the spiced cheese mixture.
- Heat a grill to medium heat and grill the jalapeno poppers for 10-15 minutes, or until the poppers are done to your liking.
- Remove from heat, garnish with extra crumbled bacon, red pepper flakes and fresh chopped cilantro, and serve.
NOTE: This recipe was updated on 4/29/22 to include new information, photos, and video. It was originally published on 8/17/21.