Bacon Wrapped Armadillo Eggs Recipe
This armadillo eggs recipe takes cheese stuffed jalapeno peppers, wraps them in hot Italian sausage and bacon, then grills them up. Watch them disappear!
Armadillo Eggs are a fun and inventive appetizer with a creative name. I imagine they were invented years ago when someone like me, a crazy jalapeno popper lover, decided that jalapeno poppers stuffed with cream cheese just weren’t enough. They probably stood there, contemplating the wonderfully oozing popper and thought, “You know? I’ll bet this would taste even BETTER if I wrapped it in meat!”
BOOM! The birth of the Armadillo Egg.
There may be a different origin story out there, but this one works for me.
It isn’t hard to imagine how these appetizers got their name. They sort of look like Armadillo Eggs, don’t they? Regardless of what they’re called, they’re quite tasty and, fair warning, a little bit addictive, particularly for meat lovers.
They’re not difficult to make. All you need are your typical jalapeno popper ingredients, some Italian sausage and bacon.
Some of my very favorite ingredients. #LifeisGood.
Let’s talk about how we make armadillo eggs, shall we?
Armadillo Eggs Ingredients
- Jalapeno Peppers.
- Cream Cheese.
- Seasonings. I’m using chili powder, garlic, and salt and pepper. Use your favorites.
- Ground Italian Sausage. I’m using a hot blend.
How to Make Armadillo Eggs – the Recipe Method
Core the Jalapeno Peppers. First, cut the tops from the jalapenos peppers, then core them out. Use a spoon or a knife to remove the seeds and membranes, or use a jalapeno corer.
Make the Cheese Filling and Stuff the Jalapenos. Next, mix together the cream cheese, garlic, chili powder, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stuff each jalapeno with the cream cheese mixture.
Wrap in Sausage. Form 1/4 of the Italian sausage around the entire outside of each of the stuffed jalapeños to completely cover them. They will be egg shaped. I use hot Italian sausage, but mild works as well.
Wrap in Bacon. Next, wrap each of the sausage wrapped armadillo eggs with 3 slices of bacon. Be sure to get the bacon wrapped all the way around. You can use toothpicks to affix them, if needed.
Get Cooking! Heat your grill to medium heat (about 400 degrees F.) and lightly oil the grates. Grill the armadillo eggs for 25-30 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the sausage is cooked through. The internal temperature of the sausage should measure 165 degrees F.
Boom! Done! Time to enjoy your armadillo eggs, my friends. They look great, don’t they? Time to dig in.
Recipe Notes & Tips
- Popper Filling. You can use other jalapeno popper fillings of your choice, including other cheeses, like pepper jack or cheddar cheese.
- Yield. I made 5 armadillo eggs with about 1 pound of Italian sausage, though these were fairly large and could even be served as a small meal. If you’d like to stretch these into smaller bites, use smaller jalapeno peppers and you can make 8 smaller armadillo eggs.
- Heat Factor. If you’re a spicy food lover like me, the hot sausage is a nice touch. For even more heat, save the cored out jalapeno innards and mix it into your cream cheese mixture before stuffing the peppers. You can also incorporate spicy chili flakes or chili powder to get a bit more of that heat we crave.
- Other Ground Meats. This recipe works with other ground meats. Try it with ground beef, ground pork, turkey or chicken. Or, use a mixture of different meats. I’ve made this with a blend of ground beef and chorizo. It’s one of my favorite combinations.
- Baked Armadillo Eggs. You don’t need a grill to make armadillo eggs. You can use your oven. Simply preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, then baked the armadillo eggs on a baking sheet or aluminum foil until they are cooked through and the bacon is nice and crispy. Or, use your smoker in the same way to add a nice smoky flavor. Smoked armadillo eggs rock! Finally, bake them up! Get ready for eating!
I hope you enjoy the armadillo eggs recipe. Let me know how yours turn out! Check out our Jalapeno Popper Recipes.
Try Some of My Other Popular Appetizer Recipes
- Blue Cheese and Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Candied Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos
- Baked Cream Cheese Jalapeno Poppers
- Smoked Jalapeno Poppers
- Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
- Bacon Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Ghost Pepper Candied Bacon
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Bacon Wrapped Armadillo Eggs Recipe
- 4 large jalapeno peppers (or more as needed)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (I used hot Italian sausage)
- 12 slices bacon
- Remove the stem from the jalapeno peppers, then core them out.
- Mix together the cream cheese, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stuff each jalapeno with the cream cheese mixture.
- Form 1/4 of the Italian sausage around the entire outside of the stuffed jalapeno pepper. It will resemble an egg.
- Next, wrap each with 3 slices of bacon. Be sure to get the bacon wrapped all the way around. You can use toothpicks to affix them, if needed.
- Heat your grill to medium heat (about 400 degrees F.) and lightly oil the grates.
- Grill the armadillo eggs for 25-30 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the armadillo eggs are cooked through.
- Serve them up!
This recipe was updated on 8/2/19 to include new photos and information. It was originally published on 6/19/17.