This steak fajita recipe makes the best steak fajitas with thinly sliced steak, caramelized peppers and onions on warmed tortillas and all the fixings.
It's Steak Fajita time in the Chili Pepper Madness kitchen today, my friends. Would you care to join me?
I love steak fajitas any time of the year. They're quick and easy to make, and they always satisfy.
Plus, you can really customize them and spice them up as much as you'd like with all of your favorite toppings and fixings.
There are a few ways to make steak fajitas, but for this recipe, I'm using a fajita marinade with loads of spices that infuses the steak with lots and lots of flavor.
I go with flank steak, which cooks up quickly, has a nice chew to it, and lots of steak flavor.
Sear it up in pan and serve it with thinly sliced peppers and onions that are caramelized, making them tender and delicious.
Top it all off with your favorite toppings and BOOM! Talk about satisfaction. I think you're going to love these as much as we do.
Definitely a favorite in our home.
Let's talk about how to make steak fajitas, shall we?
Steak Fajitas Ingredients
- FOR THE STEAK FAJITA MARINADE
- Olive Oil.
- Lime Juice + Lime Zest.
- Garlic. Garlic powder can be used.
- Seasonings. Smoked paprika (or sweet paprika), ancho chili powder, cayenne, onion powder, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Hot Sauce. Optional, for spice factor.
- FOR THE STEAK FAJITAS
- Flank Steak. Or use skirt steak.
- Olive Oil. For Cooking.
- Bell Peppers. Use colorful bells.
- Jalapeno Peppers. For extra heat and flavor.
- Flour Tortillas. You can use corn tortillas, if preferred.
- Fixings as Desired. Chopped tomatoes, pico de gallo, homemade guacamole or avocado slices, hot sauce, shredded cheese, spicy chili flakes, fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream. Use your favorites.
How to Make Steak Fajitas - the Recipe Method
Make the Marinade. Whisk all of the fajita marinade ingredients together in a large bowl until combined.
Marinate the Steak. Add flank steak and marinate at least 30 minutes. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator, covered, for more developed flavor.
Sear the Steak. Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add olive oil.
Remove excess marinade from the steak and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until the steak is cooked through to your desired doneness. I prefer 135 degrees F for medium rare.
Rest the Steak. Remove the steak and set aside to rest on a cutting board.
Cook the Peppers and Onions. Add more oil to the pan if needed and add the peppers and onions. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring here and there, until the peppers and onions are caramelized and softened.
Slice the Steak. Slice the steak against the grain, then return to the pan and heat through.
Serve the Steak Fajitas. Serve on warmed tortillas and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Boom! Done! Your steak fajitas are ready to serve. Grab the tortillas and all the fixings! It's time to dig in. You're going to love these.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Turn the steak fajita marinade into a sauce by heating it in a saucepan for several minutes. Bring it to a boil, then simmer 5 minutes. Thicken with 1 teaspoon cornstarch if desired. Serve it alongside your fajitas.
- Flank steak is ideal for steak fajitas, skirt steak is a perfect alternative. You can use other cuts of your favorite beef steak, like ribeye or flat iron. Try my Grilled Tri-Tip Steak Fajitas recipe. So good!
Store any leftover steak fajitas in a sealed container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 5 days. To enjoy again, gently warm it up in a pan and serve on fresh warmed tortillas.
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy my steak fajitas recipe. Let me know if you make it. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you, and if you decided to spice it up!
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Steak Fajitas Recipe
FOR THE STEAK FAJITA MARINADE
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice + lime zest
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika or use sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ancho powder also try guajillo powder - or use American chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
FOR THE STEAK FAJITAS
- 2.5 pounds flank steak or use skirt steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large bell peppers sliced - use colorful bells - red, yellow, orange, or green
- 2 jalapeno peppers sliced - optional, for spicier steak fajitas.
- 1 large onion sliced
- 16 flour tortillas warmed - you can use corn tortillas if you'd prefer
- Fixings as Desired. Chopped tomatoes, pico de gallo, homemade guacamole or avocado slices, hot sauce, shredded cheese, spicy chili flakes, fresh chopped cilantro. Use your favorites.
- Whisk all of the fajita marinade ingredients together in a large bowl until combined.
- Add flank steak and marinate at least 30 minutes. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator, covered, for more developed flavor.
- Heat a large cast iron pan to medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Remove excess marinade from the steak and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until the steak is cooked through to your desired doneness. Remove the steak and set aside to rest.
- Add more oil to the pan if needed and add the peppers and onions. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring here and there, until the peppers and onions are caramelized and softened.
- Slice the steak against the grain, then return to the pan and heat through.
- Serve on warmed tortillas and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!