Fiery Buffalo-Blue Cheese Hummus
Whip up this recipe for creamy, spicy hummus made with fiery habanero peppers, tangy Buffalo sauce and plenty of blue cheese. It’s time to spice things up!
We’re busting out the habanero peppers here today in the Madness household because we’re in the mood for a little heat. That and, hey, the habanero plants are producing! So I want to make sure I use them up! No peppers go to waste around here, let me tell you.
I suppose that goes without saying, eh?
I’m incorporating them into a nice and spicy hummus recipe that I’m sure you will love.
If you enjoy hummus, this version will kick it up a notch for you, and it’s sort of a mashup recipe, bringing in some of the flavors you might normally associate with your favorite chicken wings recipes.
Hummus is great for any party situation. People flock to the hummus with their pitas or chips. It’s so creamy from the beans processed with the olive oil and other ingredients until it becomes just the right amount of fluffy and flavor.
Traditional hummus is made with garbanzo beans (chickpeas), tahini (sesame seed paste), lemon juice and olive oil. It truly is OUTSTANDING on it’s own, but the thing is, hummus is one of those recipe you can adapt to your own preferred flavors. It absorbs all those ingredients and brings it right back to you in every bite.
So here, I’ve added four other elements to bring this to a different level. We’re talking habanero peppers, tangy Buffalo sauce, crumbled blue cheese and a mix of spices.
What you’ll get is the distinctive flavor of hummus, but with the clear Buffalo-Blue Cheese tang and a blooming heat finish that warms the tongue ever so nicely.
Also, if you really want to highlight the tang, you can easily include more Buffalo Sauce into the recipe. It is quite adaptable.
AND…extra habanero peppers, if you are so included.
Yes, I DO LOVE my habanero peppers. Totally.
How to Achieve Creamy-Fluffy Hummus
If you’ve ever made hummus before, you may have had a failure or two. Sometimes it comes out more chunky than desired, not quite as creamy or fluffy as you’d like. It’s happened to me as well.
What I’ve learned is, the key to achieving that creamy, fluffy texture is the order in which you place your ingredients in the food processor.
You’ll want to add your tahini and lemon juice first and process it a while. You can easily go a minute between adding ingredients. Add the Buffalo sauce, garlic, blue cheese, parsley, habanero peppers and seasonings and let it run.
Slowly drizzle in the olive oil with the blades running. If your food processor doesn’t have this capability, just add a bit at a time and continue to process.
Finally, add the garbanzo beans/chickpeas last and process the mixture until it is creamy and fluffy.
Finish it off with your garnish. Drizzled olive oil is essential, though I like to top it with extra garbanzo beans, crumbled blue cheese and vibrant chopped parsley. It makes the dish so inviting.
That’s it, my friends! Let me know what you think of this version of your favorite hummus recipe. Be sure to check out the video below!
This hummus had a kick to it that is just pure satisfaction. Not overpowering to where you can’t stop eating it. It will easily satisfy a crowd. Bring it to your next party.
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Htipiti: Roasted Red Pepper-Feta Dip
- Muhammara: Roasted Red Pepper-Walnut Dip
- Ajvar (Roasted Red Pepper and Eggplant Spread)
- Sweet Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Peri Peri Sauce
- Sambal Oelek
- Zacusca: Romanian Roasted Eggplant & Red Pepper Sauce
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Fiery Buffalo-Blue Cheese Hummus – Recipe
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup Buffalo sauce or more as desired
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese + more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley + more for garnish
- 2 habanero peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil + more for garnish
- 1 can garbanzo beans chickpeas – 15 ounces, drained
- Chips or carrots and celery for serving
- Add the tahini and lemon juice to a food processor and process about 1 minute to combine.
- Add Buffalo sauce and garlic and process again about a minute or so.
- With the processor running, slowly add the blue cheese, parsley, habanero peppers and seasonings. Process for another minute or so.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while processing, until the oil is gone and it is completely incorporated.
- Add the chickpeas in a quarter cup at a time while still processing, but reserve a small handful for garnish. The hummus will be a bit fluffy yet thick.
- Garnish with extra olive oil, chickpeas, extra blue cheese and freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve with chips or with chopped carrots and celery.
If you enjoyed this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment and some stars below! Also, I’d love it if you could share it on social media. #ChiliPepperMadness if you do! I’ll be sure to share!